How Do I Paint On Buttercream?

Decorating By jgallant151 Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 1:19am by jgallant151

jgallant151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgallant151 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for a lady that wants a pink and black zebra print cake but no fondant. I was thinking of painting on a crusting buttercream frosting, but not sure if it is possible. Any ideas or tips!? please help!

6 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

You can pipe the zebra stripes on in buttercream. I did it (in my gallery) and it is very easy...unless you want to paint..then just make sure your cake is cold and use airbrush colors. You can also suggest that she just peel off the fondant stripes...or flavor your fondant and tell her you have flavored it. Good luck!

jgallant151 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

You can pipe the zebra stripes on in buttercream. I did it (in my gallery) and it is very easy...unless you want to paint..then just make sure your cake is cold and use airbrush colors. You can also suggest that she just peel off the fondant stripes...or flavor your fondant and tell her you have flavored it. Good luck!

Can I paint with coloring gels? if i water them down with extract or something?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 7

I painted the skate board cake in my photos. It is done in crusting buttercream and airbrush paints.

As far as the regular color gels, some use them straight, some add vanilla or lemon extract to them, others add vodka or everclear to it.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, you can paint on buttercream with coloring gels. Thin with water, vodka, or lemon extract. If you thin with alcohol, it goes on more evenly and dries faster. If you thin with water, you can do blended/varied 'watercolor' effects and have more time to mess with it before it dries (sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing icon_smile.gif).

I think it would be hard to use them straight -- they'd be way too dark.

Or you could do the stripes with rolled buttercream.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 7

Come to think of it, using straight gel color might be a good idea when you want black! icon_lol.gif

jgallant151 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #7 of 7

thanks for all the info! I will see what happens!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%