New Cupcake Shop??

Baking By jlynnw Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 3:43pm by Kiddiekakes

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 6

Looking at opening a cupcake bakery. Wondering if I can do cuppies only or do I need to add products to sustain business. Thoughts include coffees, teas, muffins or full line of bakery items but specializing in cupcakes. Any thoughts or suggestions? The area supports cupcakes according to research.

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 6

They say when you open a business you should stick to one thing and do it well..If it is cupcakes you are wanting to sell the most...Go after that market as the gourmet cupcake.The cupcake shops are very popular now a days but you also have to be aware or the trend dying off possibly such as the bagels did 15 years ago...and then if you start to see a downturn from the cupcake you can possibly add cakes,cookies,coffee etc if you see that happening...There is 2 great cupcake franchises here in Canada..One is Crave here in my city and the other is Cupcakes...by Lori and Heather in Vancouver...Very successful businesses selling cupcakes only!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 6

There are a couple of new cupcake shops in Virginia Beach that seem to be thriving. All they sell is cupcakes. I have to check out the one in the mall. The one shop gave out mini cupcakes (unfrosted) during a 14K here, good way of advertising! That little bit of sugar at mile 6 gives a great carb boost!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 6

kiddiekakes, I agree somewhat. Hubby dearest has me worried. He does not think that cuppies will be sustainable on a daily basis and wants to add to it. We already have coffee shops at every corner, sandwich shops with the $5 deals(or less) as well. He thinks that the cookie biz would be a good partner as well. The basic cookies can be at the big chains for pennies on the dollar and the specialty designs are so labor intensive, I would not mind for the holidays, but on a daily basis - NO. I don't want to get a bit of everything on the menu and over extend my abilities, money, or commit to something too overwhelming and lose it all. I have several people who love my cuppies, simple to extravagant design, and would be willing to pay if I only had a shop. Finishing up the biz plans and they say the market is good for now on it. Simple indulgence during the slow times are up.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 6

I would agree with kiddiekakes. When you name your business name it something that leaves you open to add other things to your business down the line. I was trying to pick between Cake My Day and Sweet Treats by Angelique. I ended up picking Sweet Treats by Angelique. I am glad that I left my name open to a variety of things.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 6

Hubby has a valid point as well...It is a fine line of knowing what will sell or not.You have to really do your research for your area,market sustainability,economy,etc..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%