Recipe With A Finer Crumb

Baking By MSLRAC Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm by MSLRAC

MSLRAC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSLRAC Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if anyone had a doctored mix recipe that produces a finer crumb when cutting the cake? I usually use the original WASC with great success but I tried my hand at the hidden flag cake that themaytrix posted last month and it was a crumby mess. Granted, part of my issue was that I needed an Agbay and not a Wilton leveler but aside from that, I think a cake with a finer crumb would have worked a bit better.

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried the freezer technique? Frozen and then thawed cakes seem to have a tighter thus finer crumb.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with Minniecuppie. Freezing tightens the crumb. I also use the original WASC by kakeladi and I always freeze. To me it has the perfect crumb.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 6

You might also want to try using cake flour. I just made a cake a while back and thought I would experiment with cake flour instead of my usual all purpose. What a difference it made!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, try it with cake flour. You may also want to try sifting your cake mix. You won't see the big "air holes" that cake mixes create.

MSLRAC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSLRAC Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all! I will try cake flour, sifting the mix and freezing next time. I really like the WASC recipe so I am glad to see that a few minor adjustments can yield the results I want because the thoughts of a whole new recipe kind of scared me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%