Recipe With A Finer Crumb

Baking By MSLRAC Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm by MSLRAC

MSLRAC Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if anyone had a doctored mix recipe that produces a finer crumb when cutting the cake? I usually use the original WASC with great success but I tried my hand at the hidden flag cake that themaytrix posted last month and it was a crumby mess. Granted, part of my issue was that I needed an Agbay and not a Wilton leveler but aside from that, I think a cake with a finer crumb would have worked a bit better.

5 replies
minicuppie Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried the freezer technique? Frozen and then thawed cakes seem to have a tighter thus finer crumb.

mamawrobin Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with Minniecuppie. Freezing tightens the crumb. I also use the original WASC by kakeladi and I always freeze. To me it has the perfect crumb.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 6

You might also want to try using cake flour. I just made a cake a while back and thought I would experiment with cake flour instead of my usual all purpose. What a difference it made!

lecrn Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, try it with cake flour. You may also want to try sifting your cake mix. You won't see the big "air holes" that cake mixes create.

MSLRAC Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all! I will try cake flour, sifting the mix and freezing next time. I really like the WASC recipe so I am glad to see that a few minor adjustments can yield the results I want because the thoughts of a whole new recipe kind of scared me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%