How To Make A Good Cake, Help!

Baking By yummycupcake Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 3:02pm by dmo4ab

yummycupcake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:46am
post #1 of 3

I am almost giving up!

I am good cake decorator but a terrible baker icon_cry.gif
I always use cake mix (duncan) because i don't have a good recipe for yellow or butter cake from scratch.
About buttercream...... I use the wilton class buttercream (crisco and powder sugar). I need a good recipe for buttercream. icon_sad.gif

This weekend I tried SMBC and it came out good but because the heat wave I could not use it. My cake was for a picnick.

Please help me, share your best recipes for cake and buttercream.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

2 replies
Haveyourcake2706 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:23am
post #2 of 3

Hi,
For my cakes i always use a recipe of 888.. 8oz of everything (or 10 10 10) etc. i use cake mix's now and a gain for a change.

for the buttercream - i use swiss meringue too - i use Meri-white (pewdered egg whites) i also make sure i use proper butter (i used a spread once and the result was disasterous)
Real Butter (slightly salted so its not too sweet) - can also use 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco if to yellow
Confectioners sugar
Milk
Flavouring (orange is nice - especially with chocolate sponge)
TBSP Meri-white
Maybe some Super white to make it a little whiter

hope this helps, good luck
icon_biggrin.gif

dmo4ab Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 3

For the cake, search around and just try different recipies. I must say, I went though several duds before I found one that worked. I ended up with Best Birthday Cake from the Smitten Kitchen website.
However, don't feel bad if you end up still using cake mixes. There are tons of what I call "Semi Scratch" recipies that use cake mix as the base, but different ingredients than the box instructions. In fact, that's exactly what I do for several flavors.
As long of your customer like it, that's what matters.

For the buttercream, I highly recommend IndyDebi's crisco based buttercream in the recipies section here on CC. I live in the south so a recipie that holds up in heat and humidity is a must and her's works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%