I Am Giving Up!

Baking By yummycupcake Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 5:58am by yummycupcake

yummycupcake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:34am
post #1 of 9

Please, I need some help. I love cake decorating but I am terrible baker. icon_cry.gif

I am calling all CC to help me. Please share a good recipe for yellow cupcakes that are moist and good I always use cake mix (duncan hines) and I want to try a recipe from scratch.

I also need a recipe for buttercream that works for you.

I am giving up at baking!!!!! icon_sad.gif

8 replies
pattigunter Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:39am
post #2 of 9

Oh gosh dont give up! Just use a regular cake mix -- a lot of good bakers do! And use the recipe for Indebis buttercream. You can search for it on this website. Its awesome!!

tesso Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:40am
post #3 of 9

now if you were giving up, you wouldnt be asking for recipes.. icon_lol.gif now climb out of that pity pool.. we have all taken a dip there... and go check out the recipes tab at the top of the page, right under the title cake central. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you are looking for is in there like tasty little nuggets of gold waiting to be found. thumbs_up.gif now go exploring and find your gold !! icon_lol.gif

LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:51am
post #4 of 9

Ditto what tesso said.

There is another thread on CC about someone who is trying to develop a good chocolate and a good vanilla cake recipe. She wanted to know how long it took and a lot of people chimed in and said it took them months to find the one they liked. So hang in there and it will happen.

After you check here, go to your local library and start getting any and all cake books you can find. Just start making their recipes. Eventually you will find one you like. Plus read here (read!) about how to make a cake from scratch. Do a search on scratch cakes. There are lots of threads on how to make a good scratch cake. There is more involved than just throwing the stuff in the bowl.

Also on Youtube the Cakelove guy did a video on how to make a yellow cake. You can do a search for cakelove or go to his website and follow the link there. He gives great advice on how to make a cake and he actually makes cupcakes on the video.

Maria925 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 9

Don't give up! It took me almost a year to find a "go to" vanilla cake recipe & a chocolate cake recipe. It took me longer than most because I was stubborn and kept trying to "fix" the recipes I was using instead of just moving on to another one. Keep testing recipes because it will take a few to find one that works for you!! And if one doesn't work for you...try another one.

And keep in mind that even the best recipe won't be as great if you don't learn the proper way to mix & bake them. CC is full of so many wonderful tips & professional "secrets"...take full advantage of the advice around here.

I can honestly say I went from baking scratch cakes that were hit-or-miss to ones that I am super proud of & that people love... in just a matter of a few months!!!! Largely due to the wonderful advice and knowledge from fellow CCers (and some determination helped too) icon_smile.gif

luv2bake4u Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 9

Dont give up yet...........I have been doing cakes for 2 1/2 years now and I still have moments where my cake doesn't turn out. Just yesterday I made a chocolate cake and it wasn't done in the middle,,,I trimmed off the done parts and made cake balls and threw out the rest. I refuse to let the cake get the best of me..... thumbs_up.gif

Kibosh Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 9

I was the one who posted the thread about finding a good choco and vanilla scratch recipe. Someone gave me the site www.bakingbites.com
They have a choco recipe that got rave reviews and they also have a white cake one. both of these are on my list to try. Thanks to fellow cakers on here, I got that kick in the but that I needed. We all get frustrated-but that why we're all here. It's a great place to vent and help out when we can.
So from one frustrated baker to another, we can do this!! icon_biggrin.gif

shalini1 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 9

Don't give up! I'm still searching for my perfect vanilla recipe. As for chocolate, I love Toba Garret's chocolate fudge recipe, though as a cupcake, I find it actually sinks in the middle. A great standby chocolate recipe I have is from McCall's (they have a school here in Canada). I've tried Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake recipe and that was pretty tasty.

yummycupcake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:58am
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel empowered and I will keep trying recipes. I will let you know about the progress.

You are the best!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%