I Need Help Finding The Supplies To Price The Cake

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 3:51am by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:42am
post #1 of 17

Okay, a friend has asked me to make this cake-

She wants it exactly like this- right down to the sizes and flowers. but we might put a smaller on top- They are inving 200 people- I am getting ready to do the math now- I think this is an 8, 10, 12 and 14- if I'm off base please let me know-

I want it to be as sturdy as possible- Should I use SPS in the bottom tiers? Does SPS make something to make the foot long pillars with? or will I just need to buy them from somewhere else?

The wedding is in January, But I am getting her a price now- I just need to put the price of the peices in- And I'm guessing since these flowers will be a PITA I need to start practicing now- LOL would 4.00 each be too much?

I will also do a practice run of this cake at least once- but like I said, I need to get estimates on prices to add them into the bid price.

I am very certain I can do the zebra print. I've got 4 due in the next month alone- LOL I dont like square cakes, but since that seems to be my best seller here lately, I'm quite sure I'll eventually get it right and I have 6 months to work on it. icon_smile.gif

so, can anyone give me any insite? how would you go about doing this cake?
LL

16 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:44am
post #2 of 17

And I misspoke, I do like square cakes, they just dont like ME! LOL

catlharper Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:48am
post #3 of 17

Ok, so first off all, 4.00 a serving is my "basic" fondant price and basic this cake is NOT. I'd be at about 6.00 per serving plus 6.00 each sugar flower. I don't know about SPS but I'm sure someone will. I find putting fondant on square tiers much easier than round ones so that wouldn't be the problem. Looks like the stripes were added after the first coat of fondant and then it's basic stacking. NO WAY would I try to deliver this stacked...stack the bottom tiers and then add the rest at the venue. Yes, I'd be terrified of the super tall tiers and may be tempted to talk the bride into 9 inch columns instead. Other than that, pretty standard pillared wedding cake construction.

Also, make sure that there is a clause in your contract that protects you from someone knocking the cake table after you set up the cake. Cake tables are just regular tables and a cake like this, especially with the extra tall tiers, could topple very quickly.

Cat

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 17

cat,

I think your right- I dont think the black was rolled into the white beforehand.

So your thinking these are about a foot tall too huh? LOL

OH wow- I cant get more than 2.50 a serving for fondant- period..
Good idea about the table!! thank you!!

Really its easier for you on square? round just falls on for me- square it always ends up with too much on the sides and tries to fold like wrapping a gift.. icon_sad.gif

I know that all seperators are not made the same- so, does anything know which are the best?
and would hold this up securly?

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 17

I think I worded my title wrong- folks are thinkings its another 'price this cake for me' post----- and now I cant edit it... if a mod reads this, will you delete that from my title? please? I just need some help finding the correct supports.

CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

She wants it exactly like this- right down to the sizes and flowers.

I hope you don't make it exactly like the photo. What's up with that one flimsy curled corners piece of cardboard for the base? To be honest, I don't think the cake is impressive at all. Those things on the sides don't look like zebra stripes either. I've looked at your photos, and I'm certain you are capable of executing a similar design that would be sooooo much more impressive than this one. I hope your bride understands that your version of this cake will be better.

leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 17

Of course I'd recommend SPS. The longest SPS column is 9", 4" of which will be in the cake, so that provides 5" of airspace. That's the max amount of airspace that I consider stable. Go to Oasis Supply (today. There's a sale.) and check on the pricing. Just put SPS in the search box.

You'll need the 4" legs for the bottom tier, then the 9" legs, and finally for the top tier then 5" legs found in the multi-piece set. You'll need to charge the client for all three sets, and you'll have a lot of leftover pieces. (That you can use on another cake.)

Those flowers look fresh to me, but for sugar ones, go to www.avalon deco .com and buy them. I'd charge about $6 each for them and they're maybe $1 or so to purchase. Pricing is not online, but just call David for pricing. He's super nice.

I also think covering square cakes in fondant is easy. In fact that's the only way I'll even take a square cake order.

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 17

CWR (((((THANK YOU)))))) girl, you brought tears to my eyes!!

and I agree icon_smile.gif I've been thinking the same things- I really hope she is willing to have differnt looking zebra stripes- cause I dont think I could do that on purpose. LOL

I would like to find the website she found it on- see if they give any description at all- I'm thinking to cover the board with Red, her wedding colors are red and orange- she is even getting flowers to match those on the cake because she loves it so much.

CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:

I really hope she is willing to have differnt looking zebra stripes- cause I dont think I could do that on purpose. LOL

Ha! (definitely, and go with a STURDY thick board!) Can't wait to see your interpretation of it.

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 17

Leah Thank you!! You were typing while I was- icon_smile.gif

okay- unfortunatly the 5 inches will not work with her- she wants all foot of it open air I tried to talk her into a shorter section with out cake- even offered to put more tiers to acheive the height- no go- she LOVES the openess. LOL
I also dont think its very sturdy and wonder if I shouldnt fiqure out how to dowell through those colulms and maybe get them attached to the bottom plate of the 2nd to the bottom teir?

so could I use SPS in the bottom tiers, ? then SPS in the top tiers and some sort of piller in the middle open area?

Once this thing gets put on the table noone is going to be able to go anywhere near it. period. LOL

I told her no smaller than a 14 inch on bottom- then 12 inch on top of that. I fiqure that is the least to keep a stable base... should it be a 16 inch instead?

CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:

I also dont think its very sturdy and wonder if I shouldnt fiqure out how to dowell through those colulms and maybe get them attached to the bottom plate of the 2nd to the bottom teir?

I would not try to get a dowel through the columns... if you do that, your dowels would need to be longer than the 12" columns making it even more unstable than the setup already is. Those look like hidden pillars with the fake caps on the top and bottom... not sure if they are even securely attached to the plate. I wouldn't trust anything that isn't securely fitted on both a top and bottom plate (no push-in pillars, single-plate with pillars, nor dowels through pillars). For the open area, you should use something that was designed for this purpose like the Wilton Roman Columns with two plates like these... http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E311B28-475A-BAC0-5EB46BC48D2DE36F&killnav=1

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 17

DUH! I never thought about hidden pillars and caps!! THank you!! Thats what I was looking to see, what exactly could be used to give it the illllusion that it was .. shoot basicly perched on top of nothing. LOL

CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:

DUH! I never thought about hidden pillars and caps!! THank you!! Thats what I was looking to see, what exactly could be used to give it the illllusion that it was .. shoot basicly perched on top of nothing. LOL

No! Thanks for what? When I mentioned what I thought it was, I didn't mean that you should use something that might just rip right through the cake icon_surprised.gif . Sorry. Please use something that isn't so scary!!! (like the fountain pillars... they fit into the "X" on both the top and bottom of the plates.)

carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #14 of 17

If you are not wanting to make the flowers, look into buying them online. There are plenty of places that provide beautiful pre-made sugar flowers in the colors you want. Just add the cost per bloom (plus shipping) to the cost of the cake. Here's one site that will do custom blooms as well as in stock:
http://sugarflowershop.com/Sugar_Flowers.html

HTH!

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #15 of 17

CWR, right, I'm not going to balance ANYTHING- I want it gorilla glued if I'm walking away from it- LOL but it gave me a starting point! it never dawned on me that i might cuold find that sort of look in something that is 'fake' or just there for looks.. icon_smile.gif

SOmething clicked when you said caps..

Leah and carmijok Thanks about buying the flowers. The only ones I've ever seen for sale were very thick, and not real pretty, they looked like an assimbly line toy foor .5 cents.. but these actually are pretty, and I think your right- I will just buy them- No sense in driving myself MORE crazy icon_smile.gif I'm fiqureing if I need twelve, as much as a clutz as I am, I need to buy 30. LOL

I even looked at the cake stackers thing- If I could hide the posts in it, with pillers, and attach plates to the top and bottom, I think that might work. of course there would be 5 instead of 4 holding it up, but would that make THAT much differnece?? (cause I'd have to cover the actual center dowell with a 'fake' colulm, then the other 4 would just be a pretty. )

hmmmmmm Gorilla glue......

CWR41 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #16 of 17
Quote:

CWR, right, I'm not going to balance ANYTHING- I want it gorilla glued if I'm walking away from it- LOL but it gave me a starting point! it never dawned on me that i might cuold find that sort of look in something that is 'fake' or just there for looks.. icon_smile.gif

You won't need to balance or gorilla glue anything if you use pillars that actually attach to the upper and lower plates. They aren't really "fake", just for looks, they're real pillars that support--the only thing fake about it is if you use the rings from the Baker's Best Disposable pillar set. It looks like those rings are used (glued to the top board, and setting on the bottom board) with something similar to the hidden pillars (probably part of the globe pillar set because those are 9" tall, and the hidden pillars are only 6" tall). It appears to be a 9" space, definitely not 12" (it's just deceiving).

Quote:

I even looked at the cake stackers thing- If I could hide the posts in it, with pillers, and attach plates to the top and bottom, I think that might work. of course there would be 5 instead of 4 holding it up, but would that make THAT much differnece?? (cause I'd have to cover the actual center dowell with a 'fake' colulm, then the other 4 would just be a pretty. )

You wouldn't need to mess with figuring out how to hide posts with the cake stackers thing. The stainless steel threaded dowels that they make are only 6.5" long anyway. The way it works is using the center threaded post only, and the look you're going for is four pillars instead of one. No need to have four extra pillars just for pretty especially since they don't make 'em.

chellescountrycakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #17 of 17

Thanks alot- so I just need the snap in pillers in 9 inch. I was just worried about the weight, but I guess thats what they are made for?

Is there a brand that is like more sturdy than others? Like the cadilac of pillers? LOL

and what about doing SPS on bottom, SPS on top, but that snap in piller thing between... ??

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%