Can't Live Without It Product...

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 9:40pm by Rosie2

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:30am
post #1 of 55

I'm looking to re vamp my collection and find some hidden treasures out there so I thought I'd start a post about what is your can't-live-without-it-product. Or anything that makes your job as a cake decorator ALOT easier! icon_smile.gif
My big one is my kitchen aid artisan! But it seems like everything else...down to my colors...don't work like I want them to (but I haven't branched far from Wilton icon_redface.gif )[/img]

54 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:53am
post #2 of 55

Kitchen Aid, ball tools, celboard!
Edna icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:08am
post #3 of 55

Kitchen Aid, Viva paper towels, Americolor gel colors, 18" turntable

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:11am
post #4 of 55

Agbay. I'd sell my DH before I let go of my Agbay....ok, my DH might win that one, but only if he's being sweet that day.

I'm with Edna on the rest KA, ball tool, celboard,

....also....pizza cutter, smoother, Ateco offset spatulas (wood), cake lifter, putty knife, cutters JEM etc, CK bead & rope makers, Americolors, etc...

Wilton is fine when your starting out, but it sounds like you are ready for some real tools.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:12am
post #5 of 55

Tylose!

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:36am
post #6 of 55

Definitley my Kitchen Aide

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:16am
post #7 of 55

well i couldnt afford a kitchen aid if my life depended on it, but my hand held beater is one of my dearest friends.. lol. i get a workout at the same time. =) but not so much as if i had to use a whisk... egh.. imagine that.

agree with piza cutter and also my bench scraper and offset spatula. =))

adventuregal Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:23am
post #8 of 55

what do you guys use the pizza cutter for? I've seen them used for cutting off the excess fondant from a cake-are there other cool uses for them?

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:32am
post #9 of 55

Kitchen Aid
Offset Spatulas (small & large)
Flower Nails (to use as heating cores)
Vinyl Sheet (for rolling out large sheets of fondant)
Fondant Smoothers
Pizza cutter
Bench Scraper
Xacto Knife
Mesh colander set (for sifting quickly and the different sizes fit my mixing bowls perfectly)
Good quality cake pans with straight sides
Brushes
Turntable

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:37am
post #10 of 55

cutting fondant exsess, cutting stripes of fondant, imprinting lines on fondant (press very gently!! the list is endless..lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:57am
post #11 of 55

If I had to pick one product, then it's the Agbay without a doubt.

Second (close) is my Hobart mixer. The KA are too small and too weak, except for small, lightweight jobs.

leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:58am
post #12 of 55

Oh! And Magic Line pans.

leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:58am
post #13 of 55

And duh, SPS.

Geez, it's early.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:35am
post #14 of 55

Self healing cutting mat
bench scraper
turntable
Agbay

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:40am
post #15 of 55

Bench scraper and rolling pin!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #16 of 55

KA mixers (I have 2)
bench scraper
pizza cutter
Viva
exacto knife
fondant smoothers
gum paste tools
Magic Line pans

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Agbay. I'd sell my DH before I let go of my Agbay....ok, my DH might win that one, but only if he's being sweet that day.

I'm with Edna on the rest KA, ball tool, celboard,

....also....pizza cutter, smoother, Ateco offset spatulas (wood), cake lifter, putty knife, cutters JEM etc, CK bead & rope makers, Americolors, etc...

Wilton is fine when your starting out, but it sounds like you are ready for some real tools.

What is Agbay?

my must have is Viva paper towels.... everything else i could find a way to improvise ( though i have and entire cabinet full of tools)

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #18 of 55

Google to Agbay products. It works it really really works, it's the best piece of cake equipment i've ever bought. It's to level and torte cakes, I had to wait to get mine, and got it for Xmas one year. It was a year we were sort of short on funds, but my DH wanted me to have a few nice things. I returned everything, but kept the Agbay, no regrets, and I don't do that many cakes....still no regrets, not one.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 55

I'd wanted to start a post like this, so thanks!

For me, my stand mixer is #1, I have a Cooks and love it. It can handle anything I put into it; from half batches of royal icing to chunky cookie doughs and breezes right through a batch of MMF.

After that, my various gumpaste tools, my round pans (they get a workout, I tell ya), my PS/cornstarch shaker (can't stand those puffs), my assorted spatulas both straight and offset, and whatever else I can find that has more than 1 purpose.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm
post #20 of 55

My turntable!! My KA Mixer, luster dust, and I have become quite a fan of my air brush machineicon_smile.gif

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:53pm
post #21 of 55

Im going to have to say my KA I cant imagine making big batches of icing with a hand mixer. I love my new Magic Line pans too.

ladycake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake17 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #22 of 55

My KA mixer, my airbrush and my kopykake machine!!!

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm
post #23 of 55

I decorate cookies so I do allot of piping I couldn't live without my PME icing tips, I also love PME pearl luster spray it easily takes an ordinary cake up 2 notches.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #24 of 55

Once you have your basics: tips, spatula, fondant tools.

Love a stand mixer. Will replace my 4.5Q KA when it dies. (Bearings are going as we speak!)

Love foamcore. Will never use cardboard again.

Next purchase is an AGBAY before better pans. I can square up anything, but great torting is really hard to do unless you are one of those sous chefs that has to torte for ten years before passing on to the next level.

Love my upright freezer. It has become an indispensable tool for handling cakes. Other will disagree, but I think it makes cakes better.

adventuregal Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #25 of 55

I'm getting so many good ideas for things to buy! I've heard ALOT about those magic line pans so I know they must be good icon_smile.gif I'll have to check out that pearl luster spray that MontrealConfections listed. And I need to look into getting an agbay. I do *ok* with torting, but I was always the kid in class that couldn't cut a straight line or match my paper airplane lines to save my life so...I'm sure I will benefit LOL I also can't wait to get Americolor because as far as wilton goes it takes FOREVER to get a good color and thats a huge time waster...and money is time!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #26 of 55

My KA mixer, offset spatulas, Fat Daddio pans, a 7" rubber squeegee I bought at Walmart for $2 (makes smoothing so much easier), my 'turntable'...(actually one of those lazy susan's for cabinets...I had one already and it works great...hey what can I say...I'm cheap). Wilton pre-made gum paste, my fondant rollers and cutters...well...just about anything and everything that's cake related I can't live without!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #27 of 55

KA Mixer (have 2)
Turntables (2)
Agbay
Air brush

and my iPod so I can rock while I work!!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm
post #28 of 55

Granite countertops for rolling out fondant and dough and pie crust. (They stay cool, and there's no need for a mat of any kind.)

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #29 of 55

KA is a must! I think an agbay is my next gotta have item!!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #30 of 55

My KA is a timesaver and always does a great job! I use it every time I bake something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%