Help With My First Scrollwork Cake Please?

Decorating By Faithbound Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm by tanu

Faithbound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faithbound Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:28am
post #1 of 10

We have three birthdays in the family this month. All three are being celebrated together in an adult only party. I am responsible for making the cake. Here are the details:

-Two tier square off-centered
-Iced in white buttercream with black scrollwork on the sides
-Red ribbon
-Fresh roses or strawberries (To be determined)

Here are my questions:

If the cake is due July 17th, can I make the scrolls from Royal Icing before-hand, and place them on a buttercream covered cake later?

Also, if I use this method should I place the RI scrolls on once the buttercream is crusted, or before that?

Has anyone had problems with the RI decorations bleeding into the buttercream?

Thank you so much!

9 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 10

You could do that, but scrollwork is pretty easy to pipe directly on the cake, so that might actually be easier, depending on the type of scrolls you are doing. If you are making skinny ones, ie using a size 2 tip or so, it might be difficult to pick up the scrolls and glue them to the cake without breaking them.

You could put them on after it crusted, I'd either squirt fresh buttercream on the back and stick it on there, or brush the crusted surface where the scroll is going to stick with some water and then stick the scroll on.

I don't see it being a problem with running or bleeding unless you put it in the fridge. Then the condensation will make it run, melt, or bleed.

HTH

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

brush the crusted surface where the scroll is going to stick with some water and then stick the scroll on.

I don't see it being a problem with running or bleeding unless you put it in the fridge. Then the condensation will make it run, melt, or bleed.

I see a problem with this... condensation IS water!

You say condensation will make it run, melt, or bleed, but recommend brushing water on the surface.???? icon_confused.gif

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 10

seriously, I think doing the scrollwork in buttercream directly on the cake would be MUCH easier than piping and placing with RI>
Practice on a board to get the look toy want. scrollwork is generally pretty forgiving especially if it is smaller scrolls with lots of "doodads"

karateka Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 10

A tiny bit of water brushed on with a paintbrush just to make it slightly damp is different from condensation all over the cake.

I'm not talking about slopping water on there......of course the simplest course would be to pipe them directly on the cake. And if using a dark color that might bleed, then it's not the best choice, I agree. I did it once with RI coral and it didn't bleed....but I didn't use more than a tiny dab of water, either, and it wasn't over the entire length of the piece.

I still say just pipe it right on there.

edited to add: I didn't dampen the RI pieces...I barely brushed the crusted buttercream, just to slightly "sticky" it up, then stuck the piece on there.

Faithbound Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for your thoughts! I am attaching a picture of what the scrollwork is to look like. It is going to be on all sides of the squares.
LL

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 10

Print out your pic and glue it a heavy piece of card board or plastic, something that won't bend, pipe your lines directly on the paper in royal, let dry then use the whole thing as an imprint mat. It'll leave the imprint of the scrolls and then all you have to do is go over then with either black buttercream or royal icing, whichever you are using. Btw, you may have to reverse the scrolls on the paper so they aren't mirror image unless that's not a problem.

karateka Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Print out your pic and glue it a heavy piece of card board or plastic, something that won't bend, pipe your lines directly on the paper in royal, let dry then use the whole thing as an imprint mat. It'll leave the imprint of the scrolls and then all you have to do is go over then with either black buttercream or royal icing, whichever you are using. Btw, you may have to reverse the scrolls on the paper so they aren't mirror image unless that's not a problem.

What she said.

You definitely don't want to pipe those in RI and try to glue them. They'd probably break and frustrate you to no end.

Faithbound Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you for the imprint idea! That is ingenius! I believe that is what I will do. I was worried about piping black BC or RI directly on the white cake, because it doesn't leave room for error. This way will work perfectly!

tanu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanu Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #10 of 10

the imprint is such a great idea! so inspiring!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%