Hmm...

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm by Win

adventuregal Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #1 of 20

I usually use a popular brand of powdered sugar, but today I was in Target and picked up a bag of theirs to compare and was surprised to see that their powdered sugar is really sugar AND cornstarch-though they didn't list how much cornstarch is in it. I was also told that some off brands use beet sugar instead of cane sugar! Has anyone else been shocked by a product like I was today?

19 replies
Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 20

I've heard that too. I try and only use the name brand (comes in a blue bag) as it proudly says "real cane sugar, contains no beet sugar" however on the flip side of that I've used generic before and didn't notice a difference.

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysierra

I usually use a popular brand of powdered sugar, but today I was in Target and picked up a bag of theirs to compare and was surprised to see that their powdered sugar is really sugar AND cornstarch-though they didn't list how much cornstarch is in it. I was also told that some off brands use beet sugar instead of cane sugar! Has anyone else been shocked by a product like I was today?

If it doesn't specifically say "cane sugar" then it's NOT cane sugar. It's most likely beet.

The standard in the US for cornstarch in PS is around 3%.

I had a lousy result with non cane sugar, so I use C&H or Domino PS only.

rae

kelleym Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 20

My one and only experiment with Target PS was a disaster. Grainy, nasty BC. The MMF I made with it was similarly grainy. Now I ONLY use name brands like Domino's, Imperial, or C & H.

Doug Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of 20

cornstarch is there to help prevent the PS from getting all clumpy and hard

(sort of like how people put uncooked rice in salt shakers to keep salt dry)

adventuregal Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:59am
post #6 of 20

interesting! Doug-good to know the corn starch is supposed to be there, but they didn't list how much.

4realLaLa Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:12am
post #7 of 20

I hadn't heard that some brand put cornstarch in their PS but I use Domino ALWAYS!

leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:33am
post #8 of 20

There's always cornstarch in ps. You wouldn't like it otherwise.

I love beet sugar. Safe for vegans!

For me, sugar is sugar.

LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:45am
post #9 of 20

Vegans avoid cane sugar? What is in sugar that comes from animals? I'll have do more research on this.

I always thought it was the amount of corn starch in the PS, not the kind of sugar. But I have always bought Domino or my local grocer store brand which are both made of cane sugar.

karateka Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:19pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Vegans avoid cane sugar? What is in sugar that comes from animals? I'll have do more research on this.

I always thought it was the amount of corn starch in the PS, not the kind of sugar. But I have always bought Domino or my local grocer store brand which are both made of cane sugar.

Some cane sugar is filtered through bone char. I've been researching this for adding vegan options to my menu.

miss_sweetstory Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:20pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Here in the UK you can buy cane sugar without corn starch. It's great for royal icing in that the progression from soft, to medium, to stiff peak is truly gradual, rather than quite sudden. I've never had any problems with it clumping. I wonder if the manufacturer (Tate & Lyle) has a different production or warehousing practice that eliminates the need for the corn starch?

I don't care for beet sugar because I don't think that icing made with it is quite as 'white' as with cane sugar. It seems like beet sugar has a very slight blue or gray cast.

Jennzoe333 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #12 of 20

I have used Target PS for nearly a year now for EVERYTHING and haven't noticed a difference. I was only using DOMINO purchased in a 7lb. bag from Costco, but to be honest, I find a 2 lb. bag so much easier because just about everything I make calls for just that... 2 lbs! I can't tell a difference in the quality of the Target brand powdered sugar versus the others at all but maybe my palette is not so mature. LOL

Elcee Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:

My friend's granddaughter has developed a severe allergy to corn so she can't have BC frosting. I gave them a recipe for SMBC that they can make for her. Talk about a difficult allergy...corn is in EVERYTHING!

leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #14 of 20

OK, I should have said , "In the U.S. there's always cornstarch in the ps."

LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Some cane sugar is filtered through bone char. I've been researching this for adding vegan options to my menu.

Bone char!? I am afraid to ask, but what is that?

Good to know. If you find out more, let us know. This is very interesting.

Melvira Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 20

I always use C&H and definitely can tell when I use store brands, etc. I tried that Sam's Club Bakers and Chefs brand and it was more like paste than BC. Gritty, grainy, not good (TO ME... MY OPINION ONLY!). I've gone through several other store brands to see if they're as good. So far nothing else matches C&H in my tests. I still have about 2 or 3 more kinds to try, their sitting in my pantry.

There is also a difference between 6x and 10x powdered sugar as to how 'fine' it is. The problem is, 99% of PS doesn't say which one it is, 6 or 10, so how the heck do you tell??

LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:

My friend's granddaughter has developed a severe allergy to corn so she can't have BC frosting. I gave them a recipe for SMBC that they can make for her. Talk about a difficult allergy...corn is in EVERYTHING!

This is hard! My DD was just telling me yesterday about there was a scientist of some kind doing tests on cadaver's stomachs. It seems that they can tell what kind of diet the person had by something in the cells of the stomach. Overwhelmingly the US diet was heavily corn based due to all the different ways corn is added to our diet - including the feed that animals are given. Most of them are all corn diets. We were talking about this because I am not a fan of corn on the cob. Not because I don't like corn, but mainly because I know I get so much of it in other products why eat it directly. The same thing with soy. We get so much of it in our diets without really trying that I don't need to drink soy milk either.

LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #18 of 20

I have seen fondant sugar. I did some research on it and this sugar is powdered sugar without cornstarch added. I had no need for it, so I didn't buy it. But it was good to know what it was. I though maybe it was used just for fondant, but that is not the case.

karateka Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:02pm
post #19 of 20

here is a wiki definition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_char

Win Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysierra

If it doesn't specifically say "cane sugar" then it's NOT cane sugar. It's most likely beet.

The standard in the US for cornstarch in PS is around 3%.

I had a lousy result with non cane sugar, so I use C&H or Domino PS only.

rae

Amen... I learned that a LONG time ago thanks to a savvy lady who knew more than I could ever hope to learn! She was way ahead of her time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%