Choosing Gum Paste Or Fondant For A Lid

Decorating By hking Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 3:04am by hking

hking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hking Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:17am
post #1 of 5

Hello, I am new tho these forums and am very impressed at the incredible source of knowledge and experience I have found here.

I am making a 14 x 14 gift box cake. I am making the flat panels for sides and handpainting "gift wrap" look on them with powder food coloring and vodka. I am wanting very crisp corners.

I am unsure if I should use gum paste or fondant to make a lid this size. I wondered about making the top panel and sides, drying them and piecing them together with royal icing tinted the same color. What do you think??? I would prefer fondant, so I do not have to worry about matching the tinted gum paste to the tinted fondant.

4 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:29am
post #2 of 5

Could you mix a bit of gumpaste with the fondant? Might be best of both worlds.

hking Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #3 of 5

I have never done that. What a good idea. I haven't made up my gum paste yet. I have a wilton powdered mix I will test with the fondant. Then it won't be as tough to match the colors.

Vimalai21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vimalai21 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 5

You could also add a bit of gum-tex or tylose to the fondant that is colored like the box, so that you dont haveto worry about maching colors and you'll also get the stiffness of gumpaste

hking Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #5 of 5

I looked for Tylose today at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. Neither had it. That means it is a 40 min drive into Houston to get it. However I think I did see Gum Tex at both places. That sounds like the perfect solution.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%