Has Anyone Ever Frozen A Finishe Cake

Decorating By momma28 Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 4:19pm by michel30014

momma28 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 5

I am going to NJ for my cousins wedding and to visit friends and family. My God daughter just graduated High School and is having a graduation party 2 weeks after I leave. I have 3 weddings tht weekend so I cant go back up to make her cake. She is desperate for me to make her one but I dont know what I can do.

Has anyone ever frozen a completely decorated cake, defrosted in fridge for a day and then brought out to room temp with success?? Im just grasping at straws. I love her and want her to be happy but im at a loss

Thank you for your responses icon_smile.gif

4 replies
CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:13am
post #2 of 5

I don't know if you'd like to make a buttercream or fondant cake for her, but either should freeze well for a couple/few weeks. Think of all those wedding cake top tiers that are frozen for a year for wedding couple's first anniversary, and all the decorated cakes that are assembly-line produced and shipped frozen to bakeries... two weeks is nothing compared to how long other cakes are stockpiled frozen.

cakesrock Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 5

I do it all the time and cannot tell the difference between a frozen and fresh cake. I use WASC generally, but have done it with the hersheys choc and red velvet too.
Once the cake is covered in fondant, place it in a cake box or plastic container, then put 2 garbage bags over that, pushing out as much air as possible. I have frozen it for 4+ weeks . I actually freeze the baked cakes covered in cling wrap and garbage bags, decorate after they thaw, then re-freeze once they are covered in fondant. They still taste fantastic. The fondant seals in the moisture. I just dont have time to do it all at once - I do it in stages...
When you take it out of the freezer, let it come to room temp. It will have condensation on it for a little while and be tacky to the touch. In a few hours, it should be completely dry. Then you can manipulate, put more deocrations on etc... Just dont freeze it with RI decorations or paint it prior to freezing. Good luck!

lilruby Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 5

I freeze them all the time with butter cream, they come out wonderful.

michel30014 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

I do it all the time and cannot tell the difference between a frozen and fresh cake. I use WASC generally, but have done it with the hersheys choc and red velvet too.
Once the cake is covered in fondant, place it in a cake box or plastic container, then put 2 garbage bags over that, pushing out as much air as possible. I have frozen it for 4+ weeks . I actually freeze the baked cakes covered in cling wrap and garbage bags, decorate after they thaw, then re-freeze once they are covered in fondant. They still taste fantastic. The fondant seals in the moisture. I just dont have time to do it all at once - I do it in stages...
When you take it out of the freezer, let it come to room temp. It will have condensation on it for a little while and be tacky to the touch. In a few hours, it should be completely dry. Then you can manipulate, put more deocrations on etc... Just dont freeze it with RI decorations or paint it prior to freezing. Good luck!

I've done this a few times and cakesrock is correct. I've done the same steps. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%