Oven Choices--Please Help

Decorating By kjxoxo1 Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm by kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjxoxo1 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:01am
post #1 of 11

Hi,
I am totally new to baking. But I am in need of a new oven. The oven that I currently have is over 30 years old and it seems as though it is not baking as it should...burning on top of the cake while the middle is not done, etc. At first I thought it was my baking, but it is happening to my mom as well. She says the oven is not up to par. Since this area is new to me, I would like for ideas on what types of ovens everyone has. Mines is a wall oven. I am reading on convections ovens at Lowes, etc. Are convection type ovens especially helpful in baking?? Thanks for any insight. I appreciate it in advance.
Kim

10 replies
Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:45am
post #2 of 11

I don't know the difference between a convection or regular oven. I think a convection oven circulates the air more through out the oven, but I'm not sure. I think I remeber hearing somwhere that they are hotter as well. I myself have a gas oven, I prefer way over electric stoves. Thats just my opinion. All I know is that if I had the money to choose any stove I wanted it would be a Viking! For now I have to settle with what I have. icon_smile.gif Sorry I couldn't be more help.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:30am
post #3 of 11

I have a new kitchenaid convection wall oven and a second oven that is a great electric oven. When I am baking multiple cake layers, cupcakes, and cookies, I usually use both ovens at once. The kitchenaid cakes and cookies are far superior to the standard electric oven. It was $3000, but it does have a second convection/microwave on top.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 11

I would spring for the convection personally. I didn't do that with mine, even though DH pushed to get one. Now I wish I had. Even in a brand new oven, it am finding that it is a different temp in different spots. Hubby was right, which he loves to hear. icon_wink.gif

There will probably a slight new learning curve, but it will be worth it.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:58am
post #5 of 11

I prefer gas ovens to electric. Convection ovens bake faster. The only suggestion I have is stay away from anything made by Whirlpool. I purchased a Whirlpool Accu Bake slide in range and I tell you the next time it breaks I am taking it out and beating it with a sludge hammer. I tried for almost four years to get this oven fixed it didn't work the way it was supposed to from day one. The oven would say 325 but would actually spike to over 500 degrees burning my cakes and setting off my fire alarms. Whirlpool didn't want to fix it until I went to our local new station. I also had to tell them that if my family was harmed in any way they would have a law suit on their hands. It took seven companies to figure out what was wrong and fix it. After dealing with their company and all of the hassle I will never purchase their products again. I have started switching my appliances to Samsung after my Whirlpool over the range microwave caught on fire. UGH! It was only a couple of years old. They offered me a 20% discount I laughed at the lady and told her I will never purchase their product again and what they could do with their 20%. What scared me most was my son calling me at work telling me that the microwave caught on fire.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:03am
post #6 of 11

Hi! My preferences is electric. I've been using electric for almost 20 years now. I have two ranges in my home, one electric, one gas. I do not like how my cakes come out of my gas oven, so I only use electric for sweet treats. I am in the market for a new range and will be purchasing a GE Monogram dual-fuel unit with convection bake option. I don't know anything about convection baking yet, so I am not much help for you there. ... Good luck with your choice!!! icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:09am
post #7 of 11

Convection ovens have a fan that circulate the air around the oven for even baking. Most convection ovens will adjust the temp automatically from your recipe temp and most have switches that allow you to use the convection or not and they do bake faster. At home, I have a GE Profile gas convection and at the shop have a Blodgett gas convection. Love both and in my area, gas is cheaper to operate than electric. hth

kjxoxo1 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you soooo much guys for your posts!!!! I am going to spring for the convection and am looking at Electrolux products. I'm looking thru Lowes because they will come out and install. I really appreciate your posts!! I am new to cake central website and you guys have been so helpful. I wished Lowes carried Samsung because usually I have had no problems with our Samsung televisions. I'm also looking to replace the stove as well. Everything is breaking down at one time it seems.... Ughhhhhh!!!!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 11

kjxoxo,

I just bought the electrolux convection oven! It hasn't come in yet, as the work isn't suppsoed to start in my kitchen until August, but I have dual ovens, both convection. I can't wait to start.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 11

Lowe's does carry Samsung. I purchase a Samsung over the range microwave oven from them. I am planning on replacing all of my appliances with Samsung products.

kjxoxo1 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 11

Dchockeyguy,
I am guessing you looked up reviews on Electrolux. What made you finally decide on this brand? I am really leaning that way. It is pricey just hoping it is worth the costs. I also saw where they make electroluxicon which is suppose to be a professional brand. Thanks so much for your reply. I am one of those people that maybe over think a major purchase.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%