Palm Trees

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 1:14am by TPACakeGirl

TPACakeGirl Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 14

I am trying to make palm trees for a cake on Saturday. I was using the method in the 2008 Wilton book. I made the trunks around the dowels and scored them. They look great. I then cut the leaves and let them dry on the flower formers. Again, they look great. Then I attemped to put the leaves together, and it was a disaster. They won't adhere to the green ball of fondant in the center, and they keep breaking in half. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or another method to assemble them? I don't think I can find plastic ones by Saturday.

13 replies
catlharper Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 14

What did you make the leaves out of? Straight fondant, fondant/tylose or fondant/gumpaste or gumpaste?

Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:19am
post #3 of 14

I used green or brown candy melts to secure mine, set up super fast and strong! Here's a thread from a little while back about palm trees http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6860537-.html#6860537

TPACakeGirl Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 14

That is exactly what I want the tops of my trees to look like. I used the Wilton green fondant. It's so dry on it's own, that I didn't have to add anything to it. It got hard over night. Everytime I try to attach them to the trunks though, they break apart. I'm at wits end here.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 14

Candy melts or melted chocolate chips should help. Stick them on and it should only take a few minutes for them to set up, might even stand with them in the open freezer door, just to speed the process up.

TPACakeGirl Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #6 of 14

Were yours fragile like mine?

Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #7 of 14

Oh yeah, blink my eyes too hard and they'd break, lol! the candy melts were a life saver, made a firm believer out of me!

mommafixit Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #8 of 14

I'm working on some palm trees right now. I made the leaves, let them dry, then used royal icing to put them together. I also stood my "trunks" up in some royal icing to give a sort of platform to set the leaves on. I let all that dry good. Now I'm going to glue them together with the royal icing. I do think I used little to much royal icing in middle of leaves, but had issues with gumpaste leaves not drying hard enough. Not sure if this is the best method, but we'll see.
LL

cakewhiz Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #9 of 14

Mommafixit....your palm trees look GREAT! I have to make some in a couple of weeks, and I am going to add coconuts to the top of the palm trees so you cannot see the dab of royal icing where you joined all the leaves together. Thanks for the photos!

TPACakeGirl Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:21am
post #10 of 14

Mommafixit, those are the trees from the Wilton book. Or at least they look the same. I can't get mine to look like that without breaking the leaves. How did you do it?

TPACakeGirl Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:31am
post #11 of 14

Is that just royal icing in the center? It's not connected to a fondant circle?

brincess_b Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:51am
post #12 of 14

maybe you would be better assembling the leaves before they dry? then they cant break so easily. or, make them out of gumpaste, as it dries much stronger so can take a bit more handling.
xx

mommafixit Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #13 of 14

I made the leaves with gumpaste and used royal icing to put them together. I did not use any fondant.

TPACakeGirl Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #14 of 14

First I would like to thank everyone who replied. I have figured out my problem, and it was nothing more than decorator error. I came home today and looked at my leaves and realized that I had been trying to put the wrong ends together. Once I turned them around, it all worked out. OOOPS!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%