Wedding Cake Purple Fondant, Sliver Hearts Help Please

Decorating By Kandis Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 5:40am by luvmysmoother

Kandis Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 12

I have a bride that wants a 3 tier square cake ( purple) with silver hearts on it.
Please advise the best way to do silver fondant hearts!
Thank you in advance!!
Kandis

11 replies
sewsweet2 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #2 of 12

I would cut the hearts out of thin fondant, glue to cake with little bit of water, then paint with lusterdust/everclear. Or you could paint, let dry then attach to the cake.

msthang1224 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:02am
post #3 of 12

I would do just what sewsweet2 suggested. But, if you are going to put silver hearts on the edges/curves on yr cake then I would not wait for them to dry. They wb too brittle to be flexible enough to shape to the edges/curves of yr cake. Good Luck

carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #4 of 12

Color your fondant a light gray before dusting with silver. Makes it more silvery.

anasazi17 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:24am
post #5 of 12

If you are coloring your fondant purple just keep in mind that purples and pinks tend to fade to gray. icon_smile.gif I did a big huge purple wedding cake...had to make more/deeper color at the last minute.

dsilvest Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #6 of 12

Add 1 tsp baking soda per pound of purple fondant to help retain the colour. It slows down the fading. I have some purple flowers that I made 1 1/2 months ago and they have not faded. They are not covered with anything.

aej6 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Add 1 tsp baking soda per pound of purple fondant to help retain the colour. It slows down the fading. I have some purple flowers that I made 1 1/2 months ago and they have not faded. They are not covered with anything.

Never heard of that!

carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Never heard of that!

Me either! Wish I'd known when I was making purple violets. I had a ton left over. Haven't checked to see if they're faded or not. Does this apply to all colored fondant?

mrsmudrash Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 12

Duff has silver edible spray at Michael's...you could cut out the shapes in gray fondant, spray them down with silver and then apply onto cake when dried.

arseknoll1 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:40am
post #10 of 12

There are some bake shops that has a heart pattern for cakes. Why dont take a look at those bake shops..

Kandis Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:56am
post #11 of 12

Thanks to all of you for your helpful ideas!!!

luvmysmoother Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:40am
post #12 of 12

Does the baking soda make the fondant taste really nasty or do you only use it for decorations?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%