A Couple Of Indy Bc Questions

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 8

I usually use Sugarshack's recipe but I thought I'd give Indy's a try again. I enjoy experimenting with different recipes and since I don't have a business, I think it's ok to switch up my buttercream from time to time. icon_smile.gif

1. Can this icing be kept at room temperature for an extended period of time? I need to make this about a week ahead of time and I was hoping I could keep it in an airtight container on the counter.

2. If you use high ratio shortening, do you scale down the amount of shortening you use to equal a cup of regular shortening?

I tried this recipe a couple of years ago but it was HEAVY. I think it's because I used the same amount of high ratio shortening where it called for Crisco in the recipe.

I'd like to use up the rest of my high ratio because I've had it for a while and I want to make sure it doesn't spoil.

Thanks in advance for your help!

7 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:18am
post #2 of 8

No one has tried this with high ratio? Maybe I should stick with Sugarshack's recipe...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:50am
post #3 of 8

Why don't you PM Indydebi and see if she knows? icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:54am
post #4 of 8

I think I'll do that! I always thought she used Crisco but I'll see if she has any additional ideas.

Thanks!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:06am
post #5 of 8

I read through the many comments under the recipe, and someone commented that they had used half Sweetex and half butter.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:46am
post #6 of 8

I never refrigerated the icing. Kept it in containers on the counter for up to 2 weeks (always ran out by then).

I've never used hi-ratio shortening, but my understanding is if hi-ratio is used, you don't need as much. I've no experience with that, so I'll depend on those who've used it to address this one.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:51am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I usually use Sugarshack's recipe but I thought I'd give Indy's a try again. I enjoy experimenting with different recipes and since I don't have a business, I think it's ok to switch up my buttercream from time to time. icon_smile.gif

1. Can this icing be kept at room temperature for an extended period of time? I need to make this about a week ahead of time and I was hoping I could keep it in an airtight container on the counter.
Yes....I've kept it for at least two weeks "in an airtight container on the counter." I NEVER refrigerate this icing.

2. If you use high ratio shortening, do you scale down the amount of shortening you use to equal a cup of regular shortening?

You'll have to make some kind of adjustment I'm sure...I've used the hi ratio before but prefer Crisco for her recipe. I beat my Crisco for 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients and it has the consistency of sour cream before anything else is added. I think this may be the reason that it doesn't have that "greasy mouth feel" that most regular shortening icings have. I know that some are "dead set" on using hi ratio shortening but for this recipe I really do prefer Crisco. Maybe because I should have used less or more of something but the results are just better. It's light, creamy, fluffy and so easy to smooth.
When I used the hi ratio..it was "heavy". I would imagine with the right adjustments you could use the hi ratio.....maybe someone else can help you with that. For me...I prefer Crisco with this one.

I tried this recipe a couple of years ago but it was HEAVY. I think it's because I used the same amount of high ratio shortening where it called for Crisco in the recipe.

I'd like to use up the rest of my high ratio because I've had it for a while and I want to make sure it doesn't spoil.

Thanks in advance for your help!

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your replies! I did find a few older threads where it called for reducing the shortening by 1/3 cup if using high ratio.

Thanks again for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%