Don't Have Time For Fondant To "rest"

Decorating By mamawrobin Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 10:07pm by tmelrose

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 10

Have any of you ever made fondant and used it within 2-3 hours of making it rather than letting it "rest" overnight?

I made Michele Foster's white chocolate fondant and I need to use it to cover my son's birthday cake. I didn't have enough and had to make more BUT I don't have enough time to let it "rest for 6 hours".

If any of you have ever made fondant and used it right away or within 2-3 hours of making it can you tell me what problems you had with it if any???

I hate Wilton fondant for covering a cake and that is my only other option.
If I go ahead and cover this tier with the "fresh" fondant what kind of problems am I going to have? Please help icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

9 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 10

have made MMF and used it immediately (yes, "that" pressed for time)

was a bit stretchy but didn't have all that much trouble.

was not for a critical client cake -- so if problems happened it was easy to cover (it was destined to die a fast death at grandnephew's 1st bday party)

mamawrobin Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you so much Doug thumbs_up.gif . This is for my son's cake and it isn't leaving my house so...if it isn't perfect we'll be the only ones to know icon_lol.gif. I just didn't know what to expect with freshly made fondant or if I even needed to attempt using it. I'm going to give it another hour so it will have 'rested' for a total of 4 hours. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.... icon_biggrin.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 10

I've used mmf right away with no problems at all - it's definitely better after resting overnight but as long as I don't overheat the marshmallows before adding the icing sugar then allow the mmf to rest a few minutes after I roll it out and before putting it on the cake I don't have lumps and problems. And also - you might give Wilton a second chance. It tasted worse than pooh years ago but it actually tastes DECENT now - I was very skeptical when I read the posts here on cc but they are TRUE - it's BETTER and it is soooo easy to work with too - hurrayicon_smile.gif

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 10

mamawrobin, how did the fresh fondant work out?

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 10

I've done it with MMF- quite a few times.. LOL

I agree, how did it turn out?

I HATE running out of fondant- or screwing around and coloring it wrong and having to start all over.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 10

hmmm mamawrobin,
perhaps you can mix some wilton fondant in your yummy fondant then I assume it will be easier and not so stretchy!(maybe 3 parts MFoster fondant and 1 part wilton)
Also, if your house/work room/kitchen is cold then it shouldn't be too soft while working.
GOOD LUCK!!! thumbs_up.gif you will turn it into gold once you start working on it!! YOU ARE AMAZING!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 10

I believe I heard that you can use it right away as long as it does not have bubbles in it. Happy Birthday to your son! Let us know how it turned out?

mamawrobin Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for asking....it worked fine. I actually couldn't tell hardly any difference. I was able to let it rest for 4 1/2 hours before I used it so that probably helped. But it is good to know that when I'm in a "pinch" I can go ahead and use it. Like Doug said it may have been a little stretchier than normal but not much. I appreciate everyone that responded to my plea icon_lol.gif

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 10

Glad it worked out. Good to know it can be done when you're rushed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%