Covering A Ball With Fondant

Decorating By iamcakin Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm by iamcakin

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to be making a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Cake for this weekend.

I'd appreciate tips on covering a small ball with fondant. So far, for the head, my plan is bake the cake in two small glass bowls, stick them together, crumb-coat, and hope...except for modeling characters, fondant is not my friend. icon_sad.gif

Thanks in advance for your time!

8 replies
Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 9

If fondant is not your friend perhaps you should do a half ball instead, I found this online so you could see what I mean.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/324366128_69565ad906.jpg

iamcakin Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the pic, Montrealconfections.

I am planning on using a half ball cake for the "body" and putting a small 3Dclubhouse "scene" on a sheet cake, hope that makes sense. This customer specifically ordered a sheet, so I'm using this basic design by mmichelew, but the clubhouse will be a little bigger.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_546583.html

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 9

I just made a cake similar (in my pics) I had a very tough time covering the ball w/fondant so I just used royal & smoothed it out really well...I used the wondermold as the body & RKT for the head icon_smile.gif HTH

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 9

I made a cake that required a ball, I wasn't confident that I could get it perfectly round so I went to the local craft store and got a foam ball which I covered in fondant. If you know your sheet cake will be plenty maybe this would be be a good way to go since the ears will be lightweight you don't have to worry about them holding up. I personally opted against using RKT since it is pumpy and I wanted a very smooth finish. The added bonus is you can start this way in advance and not worry about it spoiling.
LL

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 9

hi, the ball in the glove in my pix is a styrofoam ball. i asked this same question when i was making this cake. so after 3-4 tries with fondant only to cove this styrofoam ball , i mixed my fondant with modeling chocolate. after 2 tries, it went on perfect. it was so much more managable. so next time i make a ball, it will be cake, i will ice and freeze it. take out still frozen and apply this fondant and chocolate mixture. then my cake will be all edible. so try that first. see if it works. i will be trying it soon. i have another one to make. i don,t have pix of a mickey mouse club house cake. but i did one about a yr. ago. i covered a large styrofoam ball with fondant and it took me several tries. didn,t think to add the modeling chocolate then. hth

iamcakin Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 9

Oh, thank you all so much for the replies! Styrofoam, now that's a good idea!

icer101, would you share your fondant/modeling chocolate "recipe"? I've never used modeling chocolate, do you use the candy melts, or what?

Thanks, again, y'all are the best! icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 9

The Wilton sports ball works well if you use firm cake and make sure you fill the pan enough to a whole sphere when put together.

I did my apple cake this way, and Elmos head, only Elmos head the pan was less filled, he needed more of a football shape.

iamcakin Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 9

Thought I'd post this so you all could see how the cake turned out. Even though it was time-consuming, I was happy with the result.

I ended up baking two small cakes using two tiny Pyrex bowls, then sticking them together with BC. I think I used too much icing when I dirty iced the ball, as you can tell the "head" of the clubhouse is a little lumpy. icon_razz.gif
Special thanks to mmichelew for posting her cake and tips!

The mother of the little boy was really happy with the cake...again, thank you all!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1736190.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%