High Ratio Shortening Question

Decorating By SugarKissesCakery Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 9:25pm by cakegrandma

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 3

Does anyone know about how long of a shelf life high ratio shortening has? I can only purchase it locally in 50 lb. increments and it will probably take me years to use all of that. I know I can purchase smaller amounts on the internet but I was trying to avoid paying the high shipping costs.

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 3

I bought 16 oz covered containers 3/$1 at the Dollar Store and I put 14 oz. of Sweetex (2 cups in volume) in each one. I get about 55 of them out of a 50lb. cube.

I store them in a plastic bin in a cool place out of direct light and heat.

I've had it last at least 18 months this way--AND, it's so cheap in bulk that if I have to throw a small amount away, it was still a huge bargain.

Rae

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 3

I buy the 50 pound blocks also and I put mine into different sized plastic containers and then into the freezer. Of course I have a large extra freezer so it gives me the room to store the shortening in it. However like it was previously mentioned, you can store it in a cool dry place with great results. I love having it on hand as when I purchased in the smaller amount size I was forever running out of it.
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%