Carved Cake Collapsed - Any Suggestions For Next Time?

Decorating By Justforfun751 Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm by Justforfun751

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 9

I am getting so frustrated trying to make carved cakes! icon_cry.gif I was trying to make Taz from Debbie Travis' cartoon cakes and it cracked around the bottom and was falling over while still crumb coated.
I had baked a WASC, leveled, and stacked about 10 inches tall (5 3/4 inch squares). I rounded the top and carved in around the case. I then crumb coated it and let it set. When I checked later, it was leaning (so must have been heavier on one side?)
The instructions did not say to use any dowelling or other supports. I had a similar problem when trying to do a topsy turvy a while back. I really want to do this cake for my kids sometime. Any suggestions for next time? Thanks for any help!

8 replies
sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 9

So you did it 10" tall without any supports? That's why it collapsed. I never go higher than 6" without support.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 9

I agree, I would definitely have put in supports for a 10" tall cake. Especially since Taz is sort of bigger at the top and very tiny around the bottom. Sorry this happened, I know how frustrating it can be!

Justforfun751 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 9

Ok - will definately try with supports next time - thanks sherry_lyn and frankdiabetes for answering so quickly!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 9

Yup, supports every 4 inches and did you start out with frozen cake? This helps for the carving.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 9

I agree about the supports. I would add: when carving a cake, start with cake in the basic shape of what you are carving (maybe you did, you didn't say). For instance, I would have baked this cake in a bowl. This way, at least you don't have to carve too much away from the cake and jeopardize the integrity of the cake. Also, I never put filling - except buttercream in carved cakes. You need stability for carved cakes, and other fillings shift too much. Always freeze before icing or covering in fondant.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 9

Think of a carved cake the same way you would a staked, tiered caked. Same thing, just different shape. You wouldn't go much more than 4" high in a tier before you added support and started the next tier.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 9

I agree with supporting every 4 - 6 inches and I also use foam core because I found that it doesn't absorb the moisture like regular cake boards do.

Justforfun751 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions - I feel much more confident to try again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%