Justforfun751 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:23pm
post #1 of

I am getting so frustrated trying to make carved cakes! icon_cry.gif I was trying to make Taz from Debbie Travis' cartoon cakes and it cracked around the bottom and was falling over while still crumb coated.
I had baked a WASC, leveled, and stacked about 10 inches tall (5 3/4 inch squares). I rounded the top and carved in around the case. I then crumb coated it and let it set. When I checked later, it was leaning (so must have been heavier on one side?)
The instructions did not say to use any dowelling or other supports. I had a similar problem when trying to do a topsy turvy a while back. I really want to do this cake for my kids sometime. Any suggestions for next time? Thanks for any help!

8 replies
sherry_lyn Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #2 of

So you did it 10" tall without any supports? That's why it collapsed. I never go higher than 6" without support.

frankdiabetes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #3 of

I agree, I would definitely have put in supports for a 10" tall cake. Especially since Taz is sort of bigger at the top and very tiny around the bottom. Sorry this happened, I know how frustrating it can be!

Justforfun751 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #4 of

Ok - will definately try with supports next time - thanks sherry_lyn and frankdiabetes for answering so quickly!

catlharper Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of

Yup, supports every 4 inches and did you start out with frozen cake? This helps for the carving.

bakingpw Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #6 of

I agree about the supports. I would add: when carving a cake, start with cake in the basic shape of what you are carving (maybe you did, you didn't say). For instance, I would have baked this cake in a bowl. This way, at least you don't have to carve too much away from the cake and jeopardize the integrity of the cake. Also, I never put filling - except buttercream in carved cakes. You need stability for carved cakes, and other fillings shift too much. Always freeze before icing or covering in fondant.

artscallion Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:29pm
post #7 of

Think of a carved cake the same way you would a staked, tiered caked. Same thing, just different shape. You wouldn't go much more than 4" high in a tier before you added support and started the next tier.

Karen421 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:32pm
post #8 of

I agree with supporting every 4 - 6 inches and I also use foam core because I found that it doesn't absorb the moisture like regular cake boards do.

Justforfun751 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #9 of

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions - I feel much more confident to try again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%