How Would You Make A Tree ?

Decorating By FrenchTouch Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 5:27pm by MessMaker

FrenchTouch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrenchTouch Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:02am
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone !

I apologize in advance for my english, I am french and I may not use the words that fit best to what I'm trying to say.

Here is my problem: I would like to make a tree that stands upon the cake and I have absolutely no idea of what I should do...

I guess that the timber would be gumpaste but how could I make the branches and such small leaves. Actually it would be a "cherry tree" like those in japanese movies, with pink flowers.

Can somedy hel me ? Edible or not...

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:24am
post #2 of 5

I made one before. I used cake dowels, drinking straws, a piece of foamcore board, wire and floral tape, then covered it with fondant.

I cut the foamboard into an irregular circle and made a hole in the center. I put one dowel through the board and left it sticking out about 3", then added more dowels on top of the foamcore and taped them all together, then used straws and wire to make the thinner parts of the branches coming up from the dowels. I wrapped it all in floral tape and then covered it with fondant and used a veining tool to make lines like tree bark. I used more fondant to make the base stick out like tree roots, covering the circle of foamcore. To make it stand up on the cake, I used dowels for support. I trimmed a drinking straw to the height of the cake and slid it over the dowel sticking out of the base of the tree.

FrenchTouch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrenchTouch Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:52am
post #3 of 5

Well thank you texas rose...

I did not understand the trick for the branches ? Do you just tape the wires and the straws to the dowels to make the branches ?

What about the leaves...?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:00am
post #4 of 5

I didn't put a lot of leaves on, but I just made daisy cutouts in green and stuck them on the branches. I've seen some cute ones where they used a ball of gumpaste stuck on a branch, and then stuck tiny leaves onto that.

This was my tree:

It was a joke...there's a brand of toilet tissue that has commercials with a cartoon bear in the woods. So that's what my kids wanted to make their dad for Father's day icon_biggrin.gif

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 5

I have of bakers dipping a dried grape stem in chocolate letting it dry and the piping royal icing leafs on it....just a suggestion, i havent tried it yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%