Great Find For New Bakers Who Can Not Afford A Ka

Decorating By sberryp Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm by mamawrobin

sberryp Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 7

I really wanted a KA, but honestly was not making enough cakes to pay for the KA. So I searched and searched until I found the Rival stand mixer. This was the only mixer (besides 1 KA) that had 5 stars and it only cost $44. This is a price you can't beat for a stand mixer. The bowl also spins like the mixmaster. While reading the manual, I found out that this brand was a product of Sunbeam. I was super happy! It spins and mixes, it does everything that I wanted except make MMF. The machine did not come with dough hooks, but at this price who cares. Check it out!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rival-12-Speed-Stand-Mixer/13729293

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:55am
post #2 of 7

I don't want to make you worry about it, but I had two of those, back when they were just Sunbeam brand, and they had plastic gears which ended up shredding into the buttercream. The first one did it the first time I made buttercream, and I returned it and the second one lasted a bit longer. I had a GE mixer from Walmart before I got the KA, and it worked pretty well. It was all metal. You couldn't make MMF or bread dough with it, but it did fine with buttercream. I gave it to my mom when I got my KA three years ago, and she uses it to make meringues pretty often and it's still going strong.

You might keep an eye out for a cheap KA on Craigslist...I bought one for $80 a couple of months ago. It needed the beater height adjusted, which takes about two seconds and a screwdriver, but the lady didn't think it worked right so she was selling it cheap.

LindaF144a Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 7

My DIL has a mixer similar to that with the flat bowl. KA bowls are conical in shape. The conical shape makes it easier to work with small amounts, such as 4 oz of butter. It stays where the beater is instead of flaying all over the bowl. I found it difficult to thoroughly cream the butter and sugar I need to make cupcakes and they didn't come out as well as they do when I use my KA. It took twice as long as I had to stop the mixer and push the butter towards the beater to get it do it's work properly. I plan on getting a KA for my son and DIL for Christmas.

That mixer would be great for RI, meringues, or frosting, and box cake mixes - anything that is runny. But I wouldn't use it for scratch cakes.

Sorry to me but that mixer is not the equivalent of a KA. Yes they both look like stand mixers, but that one is a hand held that has a stand mixer part.

Still, I need a hand mixer and may consider this one. Like I said, I could see using this for RI.

KHalstead Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 7

my DH bought me a mixer for Christmas (can't afford a KA) and I absolutely LOVE It!!

Here is the one I have

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.standmixerbestprice.com/images/West-Bend-12-Speed-2-Mixing-Bowls.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.standmixerbestprice.com/top-stand-mixer.php&usg=__s0CFwVvq4YgK0eBnjZng2hWhSCU=&h=280&w=280&sz=12&hl=en&start=2&itbs=1&tbnid=6JZoo9biD-lYPM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3DWest%2BBend%2Bstand%2Bmixer%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

Oh, this also has suction cups on the bottom of it which I love......I used to have an old KA (given to me by my gma) and it would move around when I made mmf in it.......this one doesn't budge (even though it's lighter in weight) because of the suction cups. I love this mixer, don't have anything negative to say about it at all!

sberryp Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 7

Ohh well so far it's working for me and I make all my cakes from scratch. It's a glass bowl and it's heavy and I believe a great quaility. Nope it's not a KA, but for not it's getting the job done and I love it. Until I get an KA as a gift.

KayMc Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 7

Just call me an enabler, but if you're on the market for a KA on payments, keep your eye on QVC. They often have their KAs on 4-5 'easy payments', which carry no interest. It's a nice way to purchase something pricey!

mamawrobin Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 7

I bought a Sunbeam stand mixer at Wal-Mart for $98.00 several months ago. I make buttercream and Michele Foster's fondant in it and so far it has been good. I figure that I've gotten my money out of it if it stopped working today.... icon_lol.gif The bowl spins on mine as well and I love that feature.

I do plan to invest in a KA one of these days but for now it's Sunbeam thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%