Has Elaborate Piping Gone Out Of Favor In The Usa?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm by Joyfull4444

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #91 of 103

Ooooh Mary Ford's books - so great for many ideasicon_smile.gif I loved them and based many of my designs on hers.
And her book on writing? **AWESOME!**. I could hardly write a message w/o her book proped right in front of me to copy the lettersicon_smile.gif
Evelyn Wallace and Jean Bowring are also two I had. Oh such memories. I can still just faguely(sp?) picture them in my head now.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:38pm
post #92 of 103

Joyful, so YOU're the one who won the book on ebay! I was so happy, as I had buyer's remorse after putting a substantial bid on it initially. I was hoping someone else would outbid me, and you did! Hope the book is enjoyable for you!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm
post #93 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Joyful, so YOU're the one who won the book on ebay! I was so happy, as I had buyer's remorse after putting a substantial bid on it initially. I was hoping someone else would outbid me, and you did! Hope the book is enjoyable for you!

Thanks KayMc! I will enjoy it for sure! I've been trying to get this book for ages. Whenever I see it come up on ebay I go for it, but usually lose out in the end to a higher bidder.
I'm sorry I outbid you though, thats a bummer, I didn't even stop to think I'd be bidding against a fellow CCer. icon_sad.gif

To tell you the truth, I was almost sorry to find out I'd won, cause thats when it really sank in how much I had to pay for the book!! icon_eek.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:56pm
post #94 of 103

Man, y'all are horrible for my credit card!! icon_lol.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #95 of 103

My dream book - one day when I have enough mad money I too will bid. I have a friend that has a copy of the Lambeth Method and it is worth it. One amazing book really and so timeless.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:19pm
post #96 of 103

Hit garage sales, too! I happened to work with someone who was out garage sale(ing)(?) and picked up some random stuff she thought I would like. Come to find out it was hand written instructions, about 6 of them, doing African string/piping work!! As I was looking at them they had belonged to a lady from our church who would decorate beautiful cakes all the time!! There are treasures to be had everwhere!!! thumbs_up.gif

Joyfull4444 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:27pm
post #97 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Ooooh Mary Ford's books - so great for many ideasicon_smile.gif I loved them and based many of my designs on hers.
And her book on writing? **AWESOME!**. I could hardly write a message w/o her book proped right in front of me to copy the lettersicon_smile.gif
Evelyn Wallace and Jean Bowring are also two I had. Oh such memories. I can still just faguely(sp?) picture them in my head now.

Oh yes, I agree.. Mary Fords writing in icing is awesome. Its the type of book that can't really go out of style. Maybe the odd background design on the cakes in the book might be a tad old fashioned for some younger decorators. but the wealth of information on writing and printing on cakes are fantastic. A great book!
Someones written on the inside of the front cover of my copy. For some reason I've missed it until now. Probably because I always flip through it rather than start at the beginning.

It says, Property of Patty Peirce.. I wonder who Patty Peirce is or was?
Thats what I meant when I said I'd worry about my books going to the thrift stores. When I come across a book with a personal note inside, my first thought is how did it get to ebay? Or how did it get elsewhere to be sold?
It can only mean that the family had no idea of the meaning, the value that the book had to the person that wrote inside it.
So.. They box it up and send it away.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #98 of 103

You've inspired me - maybe I'll hit Goodwill tonight after work.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:16pm
post #99 of 103

Sometimes the older books also have hand written notes, etc. which make them so cool!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:34pm
post #100 of 103

i love piping and just had a look for the Mary Ford writing book and its on Amazon for 61p! what's not to love about a classic book like that for 61p in the UK! I've been looking at all your recommendations and can feel a book buying spree coming on

Joyfull4444 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:26am
post #101 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

i love piping and just had a look for the Mary Ford writing book and its on Amazon for 61p! what's not to love about a classic book like that for 61p in the UK! I've been looking at all your recommendations and can feel a book buying spree coming on

I may be soooo wrong on this but is 61p aprox "one" Canadian dollar? I had a heck of a time finding the proper conversion so I probably am. I just checked amazon uk and did see the copy of Mary Fords book that you found for 61p. There was also an updated 1996 copy for aprox 23 pounds. If by chance I'm right, & it is approx 1 dollar Canadian, I sure hope to heck you bought the book!

I bought my copy on ebay & ended up paying close to 70 dollars Canadian! I'm going to have to start checked amazon UK more often when I'm looking for a book. I do buy stuff from Squires off and on as theres no duty or rediculously high export fees to pay as I live in Canada.

If I buy a book on Amazon US, that I couldn't find on Amazon Canada, I get dinged with duty, GST tax, which has now become the HST tax, so even higher tax, plus export fees, on top of the price of the book if its a new book.

If its a used book, I don't have the extra taxes to pay, but they add on an automatic $12.49 US shipping fee, even if the book I buy weighs next to nothing. icon_mad.gif

Lesson learned! I truly need to shop around more!!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:46am
post #102 of 103

Hi Joyfull yes its about a dollar how great is that - definitely check out the uk amazon there some great deals on there. Its so disappointing when you get stung for taxes/import I had that recently with a purchase and I saved nothing by the time I added it all up!

Joyfull4444 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #103 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Hi Joyfull yes its about a dollar how great is that - definitely check out the uk amazon there some great deals on there. Its so disappointing when you get stung for taxes/import I had that recently with a purchase and I saved nothing by the time I added it all up!

Oh good! I did wonder as one dollar seemed so low. I thought for sure I had to be wrong. Good for you allaboutcakeuk, what a great deal! I know you'll love the book! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%