Has Elaborate Piping Gone Out Of Favor In The Usa?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm by Joyfull4444

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:27am
post #61 of 103

Hee, Hee...wishful thinking. The scrolls are a lot of arm movement though, not wrist so maybe easier? I'm thinking your icing is too stiff if your wrist is hurting. Make sure the icing is soft peak and the bag small, and only half full. I have very weak wrists and arthritis is starting to hurt my fingers, but you can always stop piping and take a break.
The key to scrolls is to keep it fluid so one flows into the other and step back to check your work. I'm still a little shakey on that. I do have a DVD on the baby cake, and the violet and ballet one will be coming out soon. I know some other ladies that have videos on Lambeth too who do wonderful work so there it always someone to help you out! Just keep it up,
I totally agree with michel30014 about piping starting to be a lost art, I hope this style make a revival.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:04pm
post #62 of 103

sweet_honesty said:
........whipped up some royal icing today and decided to give it a whirl.... I think I kinda got the hang of it....

Yep, you sure do. And yes, do get smaller tips. You will be surprised at how much better it will look.

Tip: once your royal is made strain it. What I do is take a clean knee high 'nylon' and put it on my hand like a glove; fill the palm w/icing and peel the stocking off - turning it inside out. Now push the icing thru the stocking. Now it won't plug up those tiny tips icon_smile.gif
Keep it well covered - I prefer a glass jar with tight lid.
Use a small b ag - I usually use an 8", filling it only about 1/3 full. The less icing you have to squeeze thru the less your hand will shake/get tired.

I wrote this before I finished the thread. I see where it was already mentioned.
I got my cake doneicon_smile.gif I put in about 8-10 hrs on it only because I wanted it to be as perfect as possible.....which isn't very perfecticon_sad.gif That also allows for drying time between layers. I only did 5 layers - tips: 6, 5, 3, 2, & 1.
Sorry everyone, I cannot post pic until I enter it later this month.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:29pm
post #63 of 103

I can't wait to see your picture! I need to give this a whirl. My worry is that my hands are a mess: I've had both thumbs surgically reconstructed due to arthritis. I can't imagine how long my hands will hold up..... But, I absolutely LOVE the look, and I think this fine art needs to be kept alive!

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:46pm
post #64 of 103

Can't wait to see that pic as well.

So here is today's attempt. Used the #2 throughout. I did bridges all the way around the pan but then couldn't be a**ed to fill all those in. The actual strings aren't bad but I find the bridges trying. Maybe I'll have a different opinion once I buy smaller tips.

Lesson learned.....do not use waxed paper instead of parchment for making bags........... icon_confused.gif
LL

KayMc Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #65 of 103

Sweet honesty,
Man, you're doing a bang-up job with this! thanks for sharing the pics.

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #66 of 103

I just ordered the PME 1, 0 and 00 tips the other day from GSA and they're supposed to be in tomorrow. I'm stoked about trying this out. I love the look of the bridgework!

Also, has anyone else seen this? This looks soooooo cool, I just have to trying learning it as well!

sweet_honesty Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:02pm
post #67 of 103

WOW !!!

I couldn't imagine doing all that and on site no less. I would hate to have people gawking over my shoulder and making me nervous.

I guess if it were a hotel ballroom or something you could arrange to have access at some godforsaken hour of the night to avoid the crowd.

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:15pm
post #68 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_honesty

WOW !!!

I couldn't imagine doing all that and on site no less. I would hate to have people gawking over my shoulder and making me nervous.

I guess if it were a hotel ballroom or something you could arrange to have access at some godforsaken hour of the night to avoid the crowd.

I don't even know if it's realistic?! He had to have like 8 or 9 rows there, and he was saying 2-3 hours for each one to dry?

sweet_honesty Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:39pm
post #69 of 103

Lesson#2 Stringwork doesn't like humidity...

We had constant rain last night and all of today and all my lovely strings melted. Ah well. Guess I can't make these types of cakes during hurricane season...

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #70 of 103

LOL, so how many of you are bidding on the Lambeth book right now on Ebay which is up to $70?

I figured bids on that book would explode with this thread. icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #71 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Alan

...Also, has anyone else seen this? This looks soooooo cool, I just have to trying learning it as well!

Yes, I've followed a few of David Cakes tutorials. His work is phenomenal.

kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:38pm
post #72 of 103

Well all, I did enter my cake in my county fair along w/a sq wedding cake. I never got around to attending the fair so I had no idea if I got any ribbon.
Imagine my absolute amazement when I picked up the cakes at the closing of the fair to find I had won = 2 blue ribbons *AND* Best of Show *AND* Sweepstakes for the Lambeth design!!
I was sooooo sure other entries were better than mine icon_smile.gif In fact flowers40 had a wonderful entry of a TT w/gumpaste flowers that she had learned from Sharon Z and Jennifer that I thought was just beautiful and that she would get 1st at least. But then, she might have entered it in a different catagory.
So here is THE Lambeth entry:
LL

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:42pm
post #73 of 103

Beautiful! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

KayMc Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:52pm
post #74 of 103

Congratulations! Your cake is lovely! Wish I could do that.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #75 of 103

I am looking forward to taking a class with Kim Morrison on stringwork here at our DOS in Sept. I have never tried the technique, but LOVE seeing it. I am hoping I can learn to do it properly! The pics posted are amazing!!

korean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korean Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #76 of 103

this topic is absolutely inspiring, I was also sad to see that Wilton got rid of the string work

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #77 of 103

I had bid (and won!) on Ebay for a Lambeth book, which included 5 other "lesser" decorating books. OMG! It's intimidating to just open it look at the pictures!! I'm trying, but I won't even take pictures of my feeble attempts so far. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif String work??? Even worse!!

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:04pm
post #78 of 103

I think piping work is amazing!
And would love to learn the techniques...

kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:10pm
post #79 of 103

............I had bid (and won!) on Ebay for a Lambeth book, which included 5 other "lesser" decorating books.......

Sometimes I am soooo sorry I sold off my books. I pray that whoevery got them is in love with them and learning from them.
I still have my Lambeth but all the others *oldies* with similar work - Oh how I wish I still had them too icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #80 of 103

I have to go dig out my pile of old Wilton books and see if I have any hidden piping treasures.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:59pm
post #81 of 103

I've just finished the PME royal icing and piping diploma and I absolutely loved the old piping styles and want to see a come back! There is a man in the UK who is the guru of royal icing and piping you probably have heard of him but check him out - he has just brought out a royal icing "bible" called "the Art of Royal Icing". He is called Eddie Spence (MBE) - if you can get his book its a gem as there just aren't the books like this anymore. Its new and amazon do it and he shows you all the techniques and there are lots of projects in there. Stringwork, run outs, piping, scrolls etc. He did loads of the royal wedding cakes including Charles and Dianas. Such a piping master icon_smile.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:26pm
post #82 of 103

When I started decorating after retireing, I bought most of my books on ebay. Some I got for next to nothing, British decorating books that no one seemed to bid on very much. Most of them are full of the old time piping so very helpful there. I also bought the old Wilton encylopedia's, volume 1, 2, & 3 but they cost me a pretty penny! As did the accompanying pattern books.
I also bought Larry Powells Big Book of cake decorating for far too much, but I'd read about how great his book was, how rare it was, on another cake site and just had to have it!
I'd wager I paid an average of $125 for the Wilton volumes, even more for Larry Powells book. I managed to find the acompanying pattern book for Wiltons volume 1 & 2 encylopedias, also very expensive, but gave up bidding on volume 3 as the bidding was getting to crazy.

Whats funny but not funny either, is my daughter dropping in for a visit with a surprise. She'd found the Wilton way encyclopedia, volume one, at her local thrift shop for one dollar! It was in perfect shape too!

I just purchased The Fine Art of Cake Decorating by Cile Bellefleur Burbidge, from amazon for under 7 bux. Shipping to my area cost more than the book. I had no problem with that as the book was a good find & its one more lost art decorationg book, I can pass onto my granddaughters. Two of them want to become cake decorators, so Grandma is doing her best to help that happen! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:50pm
post #83 of 103

Oh I'm glad this came up!! In a word, yes, piping is a dying art over here in the US. Several of the cake decorators of some influence have been trying to revive it but fondant is easier to work with and hence, it's catching on with more popularity (among the decorators anyway.) The general public likes the look of the fondant work but is terribly afraid "it won't taste good."

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm
post #84 of 103

I love to pipe!!! And, though I'm not great at it, I keep telling my husband that someday it will come back into fashion and I'll be one of the few who know how to do it. Maybe then I'll be considered a good caker! icon_redface.gif

What's that old saying that's probably not politically correct? "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:18pm
post #85 of 103

Joyfull4444 - Thanks so much for that site reference thumbs_up.gif Wow - I have struggled with icing roses for years never being able to get the middle icing cone to stay upright while piping. This lady's method is great - I would have never guessed you could pull a piped flower off of a stick that way. I am now inspired to go home and try icing roses again!!!!! Also that cake is unbelieavable!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #86 of 103

btw did anyone see Ace of Cakes last nite? The trophy cake for the horse club that they made - the piping that Mary (I think) did was incredible too. And once sprayed gold it really looked like the real trophy.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #87 of 103

I just love piping its so therapeutic even if i'm no master at it - its an art all unto itself but something i want to do more of. Apparently the tutor in the UK said its apparently making a bit of a come back with brides in the UK but not seen much of it so I try to revive it with people wherever I can. I did some piping on a diamond anniversary cake that a couple had on their original wedding cake. was such a joy to do. I did a wedgwood royal iced cake too i'll try and post on my gallery as it had cameo brooches in royal icing and i just loved doing it. String work never seemed to make the car journey back from college in one piece though - can't imagine delivering a 4 tier string work wedding cake anytime soon lol without needing nerves of steel icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #88 of 103

............. The Fine Art of Cake Decorating by Cile Bellefleur Burbidge.............

Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh I sooooooo loved that book. I do have a pic in my photos of one I did suggested by her book.
Even though I do not decorate anymore - well hardly ever - I do wish I still had those book. I love, Love, LOVE to go thru them icon_smile.gif
Joyful I wonder if you could be the one who bought most of my books icon_smile.gif Maybe my Powell? What are some of the titles of the others you got - *By others* then Wilton.

KayMc Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:17pm
post #89 of 103

Kakeladi, on your recommendation, I just bought this book used on amazon for < $10. There are more on amazon if you're looking.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #90 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

............. The Fine Art of Cake Decorating by Cile Bellefleur Burbidge.............

Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh I sooooooo loved that book. I do have a pic in my photos of one I did suggested by her book.
Even though I do not decorate anymore - well hardly ever - I do wish I still had those book. I love, Love, LOVE to go thru them icon_smile.gif
Joyful I wonder if you could be the one who bought most of my books icon_smile.gif Maybe my Powell? What are some of the titles of the others you got - *By others* then Wilton.

Oh gosh, I bought so many when I first started decorating. The Wilton Encylopedia's I've already mentioned, but if I remember correctly, they from different sellers so perhaps one of them was you.
I just took a quick glance at my book shelf, these are just a few.
Numerous old Wilton yearbooks.
Beautiful Bridal Cakes the Wilton Way.
Clebrate VI, the annual for cake decorators by Wilton.
Mary Fords Cake Designs.
Mary Fords Writing In Icing.
Mary Fords chocolate cookbook.
Cake decorating and sugarcraft, Evenlyn Wallace.
Jean Bowring's New Cake Decorating Book (1969)
Cakes and Cake Decorating, Rosemary Wadey, (1980)
Cakes and Cake Decorating, Jill Spencer, also early 80's.
Good Housekeeping Complete book of Cake Decorating, 1959.

Theres more books, but they're scattered here and there as my bookcase got too full. I just won a 1938 copy of The Lambeth Method Of Cake Decorating on ebay yesterday. At least if said 1938, so hoping its legit. I missed out on The Lambeth Pastry & baking book tho. It had his old bakery formulas etc. Didn't get my last bid in fast enough, darn it.

I recently bought The Art of Royal Icing by Eddie Spence too. He's well know in the UK for his incredible work with royal, but not that well know in Canada & the US. Hopefully his book will change that.

I don't really decorate anymore either. Just the occassional BD cake for my grandchildren. I've been diagnosed with an eye disease thats affected my vision, so decorating a cake properly is next to impossible. But, I can still get away decorating cakes for my grandchildren cause they don't mind Grandma's cake bloopers! icon_biggrin.gif

I continue to find and buy older (and the odd new) decorating books, as two of my granddaughters have taken an interest in decorating. I want them to experience, learn, all the different ways of decorating. Especially the old way, the piping. Its an art that should not be forgotten.

If by chance my granddaugters don't want the old books, don't want to bother learning the old way, I have it in writing that my book collection be donated to the Cullinary arts school, or the community college, pasty and baking school. I'd hate to know my books had been boxed up and sent off to the goodwill. Not that I have anything against some of my books going, but the older, rare & hard to find books, no, as I fear they'd end up in the trash..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%