Traveling With Buttercream Iced Cake

Decorating By arequipe89 Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 7:09am by indydebi

arequipe89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arequipe89 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:46am
post #1 of 3

I am making my nephew a spongebob character cake with buttercream for his 8th birthday but he lives 3 hours away. Is there something I can do to help the cake travel well? I would like to make it in advance and store it in the fridge or refridgerator. If I do that do I cover it? I have a wilton's ultimate 3 in 1 caddy to take it in so it messing up is not the problem. I just don't want it to melt from being in the car for so long or get stiff or dry from being in the fridge...?

2 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #2 of 3

The last two times I've travelled with cakes this summer in my cake caddy- for 1.5 hours they have melted by the time I arrived.
So, I decided I should use a cooler for my next cake/car experience! And it worked! I put ice packs underneath the board and since my cake would not fit in the cooler, I had to tip it sideways and it turned out fine.. it was only a 45min drive and I didn't use a/c.
I would recommend using a/c lol and a cooler. It worked for me.. and I also kept the cake in the fridge for a day before I transported it.

The only part that usually melts (for me) when I didn't use a cooler is the bottom border and any design on the side of the cake. If you could decorate it there (if a border) I think you'll be ok! Good luck icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 7:09am
post #3 of 3

Are you using a crusting BC?

Not knowing where you live or what the climate is like, I've traveled 4 hours with a BC wedding cake with no problems, using my icing. The cakes were in cake boxes, which prevented the sun from getting to them,but also allowed some air flow, something a plastic container wouldnt' do.

I never refrigerate my cakes. I dont' use perishable fillings. My icing doesnt' not need refrigerated. Therefore the cakes dont' form any condensation on them when removed from a cold environment to a warm environment. I rarely use the A/C in my vehicle when delivering, either. It has to be really really hot for me to turn my A/C on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%