How To Bake A 1/2 Sheet Cake Evenly??

Baking By Monirr04 Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 7:00am by Monirr04

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #1 of 10

Hi. I am baking a cake this week that is a 1/2 sheet pan and concerned about it cooking evenly. Does anyone have any tips on how to make a cake of this size cook evenly and thoroughly? Use Wilton baking strips?
Any idea on how many cups of batter this will use and time/temp to cook it in? Just want to make sure it comes out great. Any suggestions/help from someone out there who has baked a cake this large would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you in advance CC!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 10

Why would you be concerned? I have baked 1000s w/o a problem.
You will get all kinds of suggestions but I baked mine w/o any additions for years w/o a problem
Oh I sometimes would use wet paper towels on the corners and several yrs ago I added a flower nail as suggested on this site but there was no difference between plain pan and the additions. It will not hurt to use the baking strips &/or a flower nail in the center of the pan.
I bake at 300 degrees for the 1st 20-30 minutes, then turn the oven up to 325 for about an equal time.
When you can smell that wonderful aroma in the next room it's time to check to see if they are done.
I *NEVER* measure batter - especially by cupfuls! How messy and inaccurate icon_sad.gif You say you are using a '1/2 sheet' but what size is the pan? A 'true' 1/2 sheet is 12x18x2 and uses 2 1/2 cake mixes. Fill the pan about 2/3rds full. That means if you were to measure the batter with a ruler it would be 1 &1/3" to 1 &1/2" deep.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #3 of 10

Useful info here about amounts, times, etc.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

I do put flower nails in large cakes. In a 12x18, I'd use 3 across the center. Can't hurt, might help. For me, I notice a more level cakes. I'm not a fan of baking strips, but that's just a personal preference.

HTH
Rae

Monirr04 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 4:29am
post #4 of 10

The pan is a 12x18x2 Fat Daddio pan. I just wasnt sure if there was a trick to making the center cook evenly as the sides of the cake. Didnt want hard, crisp sides and a gooey center (had one someone else baked that was like that).

Thanks all!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 6:52am
post #5 of 10

I use baking strips to help avoid the hard corners that you are talking about. And kakeladi is right ..... no need to be overly concerned. Most of my sheet cakes were 12x18's and they all turn out just fine.

Definitely reduce the baking temp. In my home oven, I bake at 325.

Here's a link that explains the science of why the corners get hard and why the baking strips can help with that.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6626888.html#6626888

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 7:44am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monirr04

The pan is a 12x18x2 Fat Daddio pan. I just wasnt sure if there was a trick to making the center cook evenly as the sides of the cake. Didnt want hard, crisp sides and a gooey center (had one someone else baked that was like that).

Thanks all!

Kinda off topic but this just made me totally crave brownies! I love them crunchy on the sides and gooey in the middle!! icon_lol.gif

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 10

I always use baking strips around all my cakes and it helps them to rise evenly avoid hard corners. I also put a flower nail or two in the middle - depending on size and shape...that helps with large cakes or cakes that tend to collapse in the middle.

Monirr04 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all so much! Indydebi, you are my inspiration! I try to read all the posts you comment on because I learn so much from your tips and suggestions!

I'll use the bake even strips and will post a pic as soon as it is complete. The cake is for this Saturday and it is a luau theme...

I am so greatful to all of you for your comments/suggestions! Thank you.

Monirr04 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 10

PS...Thank you BlakesCakes for the link about amounts! Very helpful!!

Monirr04 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:00am
post #10 of 10

Thank you for all your tips! Cake came out great!! Used the Original WASC recipe (minus the almond), baking strips and came out beautifully!

Here is the cake:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1735598

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%