Modern Baseball Cap Cake?

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm by Amber0095

DeezTreatz Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #1 of 7

I am making a Baseball cap cake this week - going to use fondant for a more realistic look and I was going to use half of the Wilton Ball Cake mold but I think it will be a little too small.
Any ideas how I can carve the cap to look more life size? Which size cakes to make? Any help would be great!!

6 replies
laurenboxall Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #2 of 7

What about the half soccer ball tin?

SparkleKat Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:09am
post #3 of 7

What about a small deep metal mixing bowl? I have used mine in the past and it worked well when I was stuck looking for the right size pan.

DeezTreatz Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:23am
post #4 of 7

I could try a deep metal bowl...
because its so much deeper - how long would I bake it for?

icer101 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #5 of 7

i used eliza strausse instructions from her book. mine ,not as good as hers of course, but was proud. i used 2 8" round cakes and carved them into the ball cap shape. it is in my pix. covered with fondant , chocolate clay mixed. i cut the brim off an old ball cap of my dh, and went from there. traced the brim onto stiff cardboard. covered the real brim with press n seal(not the cheap kind. ) then cut the brim witht the g/p, chocolate mix and layed on pattern and let dry. next time, i will g/p only for the brim. but still was well pleased. hth i froze the cake with the filling and preiced a little first. then carved it half frozen. it cut really good. used a serrated knife. then iced more with smbc. put back in freezer and then rolled out the fondant and chocolate mix and covered the cake. went on like a breeze. i made a few indention in the cake as i was carving to make it look real and also after i covered it.

SparkleKat Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #6 of 7

I cooked mine until done. If the batter is deep, try putting a greased/floured flower nail in the middle to distribute the heat more evenly.

Amber0095 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 7

I would use half of the sports ball pan with a 6 in round. hth icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%