Two Tiers

Decorating By Jeff1978 Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 1:25am by BlakesCakes

Jeff1978 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 11

When creating a two tier fondant cake is it best to do the fondant then stack the tiers, or stack the tiers then fondant?

Thanks,
Jeff

10 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 11

Place each tier on it's own board (same size as tier) and put fondant on each tier individually. Place dowels in bottom tier and then put top tier in place.

HTH
Rae

Jeff1978 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 11

Its going to be one gift box cake on top of another. I didn't realize I would have to use two boards. I thought the dowels go through both cakes? Am I all wrong on this?

Marianna46 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 11

Can't say any better or clearer than that, Rae! I always love your advice.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1978

Its going to be one gift box cake on top of another. I didn't realize I would have to use two boards. I thought the dowels go through both cakes? Am I all wrong on this?

You need support for every 4 vertical inches of cake or else the top cake will crush the bottom one.

If your tiers/boxes are 4 inches tall, then you need to put dowels in the bottom tier to support the top one. You must have a board under the top tier so that it can sit on the dowels.

You can put a dowel the entire height of the cake, if you like, but that is so that the cakes don't shift during transport. It will, in no way, help provide support.

If your "tiers" are only 2" high, then you don't have to put the dowels in the bottom tier, but it's still a good idea to put that top one on it's own board so that you can put the fondant on and move it easily. If the top cake will be heavily decorated, the dowels in the bottom one are still a good insurance policy.

Rae

Jeff1978 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much!

Jeff1978 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:00am
post #7 of 11

When I cover the top cake with fondant do I cover the board also so you can't see it?

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:06am
post #8 of 11

Yes, you trim the fondant off at the bottom edge of the board. You can use a paring knife or a pizza cutter.

Once the cake is on top of the other tier, you may or may not have a gap between the 2 (depending on how level that bottom cake is). If you have no gap & the edge is clean, you can leave it without a border. If you have a gap, you can put on a border that will compliment the cake.

Rae

Jeff1978 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:14am
post #9 of 11

Thank you so much! As you can tell I am very new to this! Once I have the top and bottom tier covered with fondant I can just pick up the top tier and I won't disturb the fondant or even worse accidentally pull it off?

Again, Thank You

sweettreat101 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #10 of 11

After I cover my tiers in fondant I place them in the fridge to firm them up a little. It makes it easier to place on top of the next tier. You can also use a spatula (pancake turner) under one side and rest the other side in the palm of your hand when placing on the cake. Just try to be as gentle as possible so you don't put to much pressure on the frosting and leave fingerprints. Once on the cake you can always run your fondant smoother around your tiers. For a two tier cake I don't dowel down the middle. Since I purchased my Stress Free Cake Supports I no longer dowel down the middle of any of my cakes. They are a little pricey but save so much time not having to cut dowels. You can even adjust the legs to different sizes so if you wanted a leaning cake on one side then make one side shorter. I place a non skid circle on top of the support ring. I have never lost a cake when using this product.

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1978

Thank you so much! As you can tell I am very new to this! Once I have the top and bottom tier covered with fondant I can just pick up the top tier and I won't disturb the fondant or even worse accidentally pull it off?

Again, Thank You

As the other poster said, if you refrigerate both tiers for just 10 minutes, or so, the fondant will firm up nicely and be more ding resistant.

I mark the bottom tier lightly so I know where the top tier needs to sit and then I pipe on some royal icing or even melted chocolate onto the top of the bottom tier. I hold the top tier carefully at the side edges and lower the back edge into position, gently lowering it into place (sometimes using a thin angled spatula at the front edge--hard to explain).

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%