Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By ilikecakey Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm by cashley

ilikecakey Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum as well as new to cake decorating. I was looking at buying premade fondant a few weeks ago and then got the bright idea to make my own. I made marshmallow fondant out of mini marshmallows and powdered sugar last night for the first time. It looked liked it was going to be ok, but to be honest it's not smooth and not super stretchy. It breaks easily. I followed the recipe I found online. I worked on it for about 1.5 hours and am not sure if it's worth all the kneading etc. Does anyone else make their own fondant.

7 replies
cashley Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 8

Yes make it all the time. You probably put in too much powdered sugar. This is a mistake most make when making it the first time. You do not need all the sugar it has in the recipe. I never measure my sugar anymore always do it by feel. I keep putting in sugar just till it is not sticky anymore. Really if you get the hang of making it you will like it.

abra526 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 8

http://www.cakeswebake.com/video/fondant-tutorial

This video from cake we bake . com is what really helped me make better MMF. I have made this recipe about 7 times now, and it hasn't failed on me yet! Good luck, and just keep trying. It is sooo much cheaper than buying the premade fondant that most of us have access to, and tastes much better.

ilikecakey Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 8

Wow thanks for the video, that actually helped me alot!

abra526 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 8

You're very welcome! I would love to hug Eileen for making this video for us! lol

BeanCountingBaker Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 8

Less is more when it comes to the powdered sugar, but, more is better when it comes to the crisco!

Krissygirl Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 8

Does anyone know how to get mmf black without it cracking and falling apart? I've used liquid food coloring and the paste. Nothing seems to work. I always come out with a crack filled hard piece of unusable fondant.

Help!

cashley Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 8

use americolour super black add it to your melted marshmellows then add the powdered sugar

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%