Tinted Cake Batter

Baking By chrisviz Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 1:20am by chrisviz

chrisviz Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a wedding cake for my Nephew in a couple of weeks and they would like a Vanilla flavored cake... however his fiance would like the vanilla cake to be "pink". If I tint the cake batter with red drops or gel, will the taste be altered? Are there any tips for this scenario I should be aware of? Any help is MOST appreciated!

5 replies
iamcakin Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 6

If you use the gel color it will not alter the taste. Go sparingly, unless you want *bright* pink! icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck, and be sure to post your pictures.

Marianna46 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 6

Unless you want red batter, I'd get some pink gel coloring, because, as iamcakin says, a little goes a long way. Put in a few drops, let it mix in, add a few more, etc. I'm pretty sure you don't want a hot pink cake, either, but rather a soft, pastel one.

kansaslaura Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 6

It will not alter it at all. I've done "tie dyed" cakes before with vivid colored cake batter and it tasted just like white cake.

nana_marta Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 6

I have in the past week made tye dye cake batter and red,white, blue batters woth nooochange in the batters taste. Use Gel colors and go drops at a time until you get color you want. DEFINATELY use pink, not red. If on occasion you need red or black make sure they are the "no taste" type. I find maroon has a taste too. Usually you will know what has a tast by the smell of the gel. Smells almost metallic-y. Be sur to let us know how it goes. I know it will be delicious! icon_biggrin.gifprincess.gif

chrisviz Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your feedback. Your the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%