Hidden Pillar Question

Decorating By Loril Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm by leah_s

Loril Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loril Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 3

Can someone tell me. I am wanting to stack a 12" square cake on a 16" square. I will dowel accordingly.

Next I want to press in hidden pillars to raise my 8" layer 2 " from the 12" square and then again to raise my 6" layer 2" from my 8"

I will use seperator plates under my 12" (that will be 12") and then under my 6 and 8" tiers. I am wanting just 2" room to allow me to put roses around these little tiers.

So basically I am pushing hidden pillars in my 12" cake to give me a lift between and so on.

Will this be okay

2 replies
sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 3

Check out the hidden pillar tutorial at: http://community.webshots.com/user/abbyniemeier Click on the individual pictures to read the notes below each picture. This is a tutorial on making a stack cake. For the presentation you want, cut the hidden pillars 2" longer than the depth of the 16" layers.

I wouldn't dowel the 16" layer. Using the hidden pillars, there won't be any weight on the cake layers. The hidden pillars will be enough to keep the two layers from shifting. I however do put a few short straws in the top layer to keep layers from shifting. They don't support weight, just keep the layers from sliding. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 3

You don't need the dowels if you're using the hidden pillars. They are your support system.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%