Help Stacking Cakes

Decorating By burkecakes Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 12:55am by DeezTreatz

burkecakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make a 2-tier cake this week, and want advice on how to best do this. There are 2 buttercream layers. In the past, the top tier has stuck to the bottom tier and removed the icing. Any tips to keep this from happening?

Also, I have to deliver this cake one day before the event. Will it be okay to be transported and kept as a 2-tier cake for that long?

Any advice you have to make this successful, I appreciate! It's for a good friend and I don't want to let her down!

Thanks!

3 replies
CWR41 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkecakes

In the past, the top tier has stuck to the bottom tier and removed the icing. Any tips to keep this from happening?

Also, I have to deliver this cake one day before the event. Will it be okay to be transported and kept as a 2-tier cake for that long?

Use a circle of waxed paper between the two tiers to prevent the icing from being removed from the top of the bottom tier.

You can transport and keep the cakes stacked, as long as you've supported it properly.

southernswthrt Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 4

I use the wax paper as well...you can also sprinkle a little powdered sugar before you put the wax paper down so it doesn't stick.

DeezTreatz Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #4 of 4

This is a great way to keep it secure and in place if transporting it together - and keep it from folding while its there! icon_razz.gif

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/how-to-make-a-wedding-cake.htm

If your unsure of the icing coming off - I have seen at other weddings - if you leave a little extra icing for them - the catering/kitchen staff can ice the top of the cake once the layers are seperated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%