Hand Piping Newbie Help!!!!

Decorating By RoxyGrim Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 5:47am by Unlimited

RoxyGrim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoxyGrim Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 6

I am hand piping lace on a 2 tier cake. It's my first time doing this.
I just wanted some advice on how I should go about doing this.
What the best materials to use, how long to dry,etc.

Thanks so much in Advance!!

Robin icon_smile.gif

5 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 6

Most people will use royal icing...there is a good recipe on here but you can also purchase it premade from a cake supply store if there is one in your area. I usually use buttercream (I'm a new fan of indydebi's recipe here on this site) that's been thinned down. Probably the best way, easiest way, is if you have the presses from Wilton that you gently press the pattern into the buttercream/fondant and then you pipe over that. The other thing you can do is to print out a pattern on your computer and then, using a pin, poke thru the paper onto the cake surface and follow those lines. Learning to free hand pipe is hard and takes practice so don't beat yourself up too much. Mine still basically sucks and so I keep looking for ways to practice over and over again so, eventually I'll get better! LOL! One of the ways to get practice is to get some sort of non stick mat and pipe onto that. It will let you know what piping feels like before you go to try it on a cake.

HTH.
Cat

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 6

yes i would us bc also, RI gets so hard someone could break a tooth on it

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 6

Hand piping it's like writing. It takes time and patience to learn. It's not something you will learn in one sit. You need to practice and eventually it gets easy.
Edna icon_smile.gif

RoxyGrim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoxyGrim Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 6

Thanks Alot! Sry about the late late reply. I did go and buy the Wilton presses. It worked out really well. I did have pictures but they got erased. icon_sad.gif

@Edna: I have been practicing and I can't wait to do another hand piping cake!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:47am
post #6 of 6

Oh no! Sorry your pictures were erased. I'm glad it was a successsounds like you had fun making it too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%