Help I Think The Cake Sunk?

Baking By Sarah1986 Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm by artscallion

Sarah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah1986 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:29am
post #1 of 3

Ok im very annoyed and i dont get why this has happened well i might know but i want to see what you guys think

I cooked a maderia cake yesterday took it out the oven left it to cool in the tin, went to put it on the cooling rack then to my horror i turned it upside down and there was a huge hole with all mixture not cooked was all gooey!!!!!!

I checked it was cooked with a skewer right through it came out clean.

I will state one point i did take the cake out of the over to lower it down as it was rising to high and was about to touch the top of then oven, could this of caused it, if so why has it sunk in from the bottom and not the top?

Fresh cake in the oven now.....ive left plenty of room for it to rise this time!!!

Sarah

2 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 3

There is a real good chance removing it from the oven caused this--you can't remove something as delicate as a cake from the heat, place on the stovetop, adjust shelving and put back in without causing problems. Also, I always use baking strips which cause my cakes to rise level, by causing the outside of the cake to bake slower allowing the inside to bake more evenly as well.

Hope the next one comes out perfectly for you!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 3

Agree. Moving it in and out could definitely be the cause. Also, did you maybe use too much leavening? If your cake was doming that much, that could be the problem as well. Too much leavening will cause more rising than the structure of the cake can support. A typical sign of this is when a cake rises higher than usual, then collapses.

Another thing to be aware of is that butter cakes, or those that have a high ratio of oil are not always easy to test with a toothpick. There's actually a point, before they're done when a toothpick will slide in and come out clean because of the butter/oil in the almost cooked batter, slides off the pick, rather than adhering to it.

With these kinds of cakes, I always rely on the touch test. Another indicator of doneness is that when a cake is done, it stops rising and starts to settle a tad. Keep a close eye and when you see this just begin to happen, along with the touch test, it's done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%