Cream Cheese Bc At A Beach Party????

Decorating By msthang1224 Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 12:46am by chilz822

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:43am
post #1 of 12

Ok, so my customer wants a Red Velvet cake covered with Cream Cheese BC for his 7yr daughter. Only problem is, that the party will be at the beach!! I explained that this type of icing can not be outside for too long or in direct sunlight. But, he wants the tradional icing for Red Velvet cake! He also says, the cake will be under a tent. How long can this cake be outside? Or, does anyone have an alternative to using REAL cream cheese for this?

Thanks for all of your help icon_smile.gif

11 replies
cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:02am
post #2 of 12

can not be in the heat very long as it will just melt first before spoiling

i have made red velvet cupcakes with white chocolate ganache filling and a whipped cream cheese icing for my cookout for today and they are in my fridge and will stay there till ready to be served as today is going to be 95 out and last night it was about 85 and it wanted to melt as i as frosting them...i would pretty much advise against it

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:43am
post #3 of 12

I love it when somebody wants what they want more than they care about safety or reality.

I would just say it's not something I offer for outdoor functions during the summer, for safety reasons. The only frosting I offer for outdoor events in the summer is buttercream made with ALL vegetable shortening. They do sell cheesecake flavoring, if you have time to order it. But I haven't seen cream cheese flavoring. I imaging it's pretty much the same thing.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 12

you could have a shortening based bc and add in some cream cheese (or flavouring!), that will at least hold up a bit better.
id tell the customer to respect your knowledge, and try some delicious XYZ instead.
at least, if he insists on cream cheese, and you do it, make him sign something NOW on the contract about you advising against this choice, and then on collection/ delivery, to say its in perfect condition.
xx

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 12

Personally, I wouldn't do it even if he insisted. You run your business, the customer doesn't.

Just like restaurants that won't serve rare hamburg. Doesn't matter how much a customer insists, the business dictates what they will and will not do. Insisting doesn't mean he's suddenly running your business.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 12

This was posted several days ago. You might want to try Mamawrobins version of Indyedebi's buttercream. It has cream of cheese and it probably has a better chance than some of holding up in the heat.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 12

I've heard some folks say that they've mixed the storebought 'canned' cream cheese frosting in with regular buttercream for the flavor and stability... I have not tried this though.

msthang1224 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 12

Omgoodness, thanks you guys. All of you said just what I told the customer.

@ artscallion: you must have been in the cake supply store when I went because I bought bottles of loriann oils (cheesecake) flavor and said that I would try it. I was thinking the same thing. Glad to see that someone else thought of it too. So, I'm going to test the flavor, thanks.

@ chilz822: I also thought about the canned idea as well. I have some on deck, will try this too, thanks.

Again, thanks to everyone for replying and I will definitely let you guys know what the outcome of my tests produce, thanks, y'all are the best!!

msthang1224 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 12

MadMillie: I just read the entire thread and it has some great tips on it. I will have to try indeydebs buttercream as well. But I'm still worried about adding the cream cheese to it because of the heat. But its a will try for another project. Thanks

msthang1224 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:42am
post #11 of 12

Hi, I'm back with my experiement on both Cheesecake Flavoring Oil and Store bought "canned" Cream Chesse Frosting. Today was the day of my customers event. I mixed my BC w/Flavoring oil but, I didn't get good enough results with it. It SMELLED great but, there just wasn't enough of the flavor that bursted out. I had used almost an entire bottle (I had 2) on just a small cereal bowl, trying to get the flavor to pop. Well, after that, I mixed my Canned cream cheese frosting w/my BC and VIOLA!! There was the taste I was looking for. It worked well and it crusted enough to smooth too. I was pleased and now I'm waiting on the BIG VERDICT from my customer, as to how everything went at the BEACH PARTY, wooohooo!!

A great big SHOUT OUT to everyone for all of your help, thanks again. I couldn't have done it without you guys!!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:46am
post #12 of 12

Please follow up with us, I'm anxious to heard about the canned experiment also!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%