Fresh Flowers On Cake

Business By Lenette Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 1:42pm by leah_s

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:46am
post #1 of 4

Do any of you have a policy regarding fresh flowers on cake?

I have taken the attitude that if that's what the bride wants I am happy to do it. BUT, it seems to be backfiring.
Today was another example of a florist who must have left me the leftovers to put on the cake. It looked so nice before the flowers went on there but I was stuck. Another time someone who saw the cake before the flowers actually stopped to ask my why I added "that bush" to the cake. It was the topper arrangement left for me according to the other. Yet another time the oasis for the flowers literally had water running off of it. I tried everything I could and I had to place it on there.

I don't know what to do here. Is it bad business to just say "no fresh flowers"? I mean, this is in addition to my food safety concerns. The florists that I have talked with say there are no regulations that the flowers have to be organic or anything like that so who knows what's on them. I do not know all the poisonous flowers. The ones from today had these weird prickly things that were literally falling into my bc as I was placing them.

Sorry this is so long, I am really bothered by all these bad experiences. How do ya'll handle it?

3 replies
CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:29am
post #2 of 4

While I've got my reservations about using fresh flowers the reality is that brides are going to continue to use them with or without our blessing... One of the best things you can do is develop a relationship with the florists you're dealing with because then they know how you want the flowers and most of all they learn which blooms are toxic. Some people swear by organic, but you can get e.coli poisoning from them just as well as any other source (remember, what is the most abundant commercially available organic fertilizer...)..

I guess I'd include a disclaimer in your contract that you reserve the right to place or NOT place provided live flowers on a cake.

I truly prefer to place live flowers on cakes myself for the simple reason that I can control what is going into and on the cake. I can make sure that all the stems going into the cake are covered so they won't "leak" into the cake... When it comes to the drippy oasis the best option is to put it over a sink or something that you can let it drain off for a minute or two (which is ally it really should take).. but also that you have something between the oasis and the cake itself...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 4

I have developed a relationship with a particular florist and STRONGLY recommend my brides get their flowers from that shop.

Here's what my contract says -

Flowers: If you are using fresh flowers on your cake the florist is responsible for providing the flowers and making sure that the flowers and foliage are safe to place on a cake. Some flowers and foliage are not food safe due to the variety, chemicals used in growing the flowers or foliage and the chemicals used to preserve the flowers and foliage. It is your responsibility to select wisely with the assistance of your florist. I prefer to place the cascades, drifts of petals, cake corsages or small bouquets of fresh flowers on the cake. Please check with your florist to make sure this is acceptable to him/her. If there is an arrangement of flowers that goes on the top tier as an ornament, your florist needs to assemble it. If you have chosen a design with a tier of flowers in between the tiers of cake, please advise your florist that placement of those flowers will be his/her responsibility.

If your florist provides loose flowers for the cake with unwrapped stems, I will not insert them into the cake. If your florist places unwrapped stems into the cake, I will advise your caterer/facility that that tier of the cake is no longer safe to eat.   

And there is a line for the bride to initial that she understands. Especially that last part that if your florist screws up my cake, I'm putting ALL the liability on the caterer who serves it, 'cause I told them not to do it. Most brides don't want to pay for a wedding cake then not be able to serve it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 4

And before the PMs start, yes you may copy that language into your own contract if you like it. After all, I stole it from someone else years ago. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%