Need Help With How To Make A Wood Look Out Of Buttercream

Decorating By stillsmiling Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 4:21am by etr2002

stillsmiling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stillsmiling Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #1 of 5

Hi there,
I am just still working out some kinks with my cakes. I have a pirate cake I need to make for a 17th birthday party. Not sure yet on the cake flavour, probably a madiera vanilla, with chocolate buttercream frosting. It will be a sculpted cake, but not overly large. My birthday girl requested no fondant, which I think is going to make this harder than it has to be. Would you ice with two shades of brown and then using a knife add a wood pattern? Or would you make strips out of modelling chocolate and add them individually? My other option would be royal icing, but would it dry to quickly to pattern them? Any other ideas out there? I am so willing to listen. If you have links to what you think I am looking for, that would be great too. Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

mj

4 replies
etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #2 of 5

I only use fondant for accents as most of my folks just want buttercream. So, when I need woodgrain, I smooth my buttercream and then place a Viva towel where I want the wood. I then use the back of a knife (not the sharp blade) and lightly press it into the wood. It works well for me. If you look at my pics (I'm just a hobbiest so I know I have a long way to go), you will see the technique on the tiki totem pole and on the chalkboard teacher appreciation cake.

Good luck!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 5

If I was using butter cream I would use a tip 47 or 48 flat side and make planks. Then take a knife and add the wood grain.

stillsmiling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stillsmiling Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #4 of 5

thanks so much, I will try the paper towel, and also the tips. I will see what works best for what I am envisioning. Thanks so much for the help and etr2002, your cakes are beautiful.

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 4:21am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for complimenting my cakes. Good luck with the woodgrain!

Erica

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%