Ok, About "fake Ganache" .....

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 5:46am by DetailsByDawn

bmoser24 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:24am
post #1 of 4

YES, I did it... I made and tried a mock white ganache. Yep...fake, not real, no chocolate, no cocobutter, candy quality, almond bark, "ganache"!
And...it was OK,,,,not too bad. I used 3:1 ratio, which I think was too high, with cream.
It came out a little lumpy and translucent looking at first (I thought yuk!)
I let rest overnight, on the counter, and stirred the next day...it was looking better and thicker (so I didn't trash it, yet)
I applied to a cut cake I had, and refrigerated, and it set up nice...looked nice, and smooth. (no hot knife yet either)
I cut that side and ate.... one half had BC/Fondant, the other This stuff ~
and...it was pretty good. hmmm. not real sweet.
So, as a hobby caker, trainee .... I think i would try again, seeing The price difference is huge...24 oz/1.73 vrs 12oz 3.29(nestlee at that!)
But, I would NOT use on a quality cake....special event, only practice (which I seem to making alot of lately)For those who would not even consider...fine. But,for some of us...making (alot) cakes for free...options.

3 replies
minicuppie Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 4

Practice all you want, as long as when it is time to use a "real"ganache you can pull it off with good results.

bmoser24 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:35am
post #3 of 4

Well,I can "pull it off" already have.... judge for yourself, the 3 square cakes in my pics are "real" ganache. I just love to practice all I can. Dont want to just pull something off, I want to master it ...LOL. Till then i'll try to find ways to practice and not go broke.

DetailsByDawn Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:46am
post #4 of 4

Great advice! I do a lot of practice cakes, so that's a great money saver. I also make all the cakes for my in-laws and they really don't appreciate good chocolate. I make a lot of decor with candy melts (Merken) and they always oooh and ahhhh and say what great quality chocolate I use.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%