I Need To Make An Eagle

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 3:10am by pmarks0

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make an eagle to sit on the headstone of a "Here lies___ youth" cake....any suggestions? I'm thinking of using RKT for the headstone....after coving it with fondant, how would I attach it at the end of the cake? dowels, toothpicks or something else?

Thanks.

7 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:24am
post #2 of 8

You could make an eagle like the one on this cake.
Just make a full body, and attach skewers (or toothpicks depending on it's size) to the back using either RI or melted chocolate, then stick them into the tombstone. I would pipe feet on top of the tombstone the very last thing.
HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1729378.html

edited to correct stupid spelling errors icon_redface.gif

pmarks0 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:29am
post #3 of 8

I never thought of looking at 4th of July cakes...that one looks pretty good...although my DH says I neglected to say the eagle needs to perch on the top of the headstone, more like a vulture, but an eagle (inside joke)....I mentioned that i could pipe talons....

Anyway, thanks @iamcakin, that's definitely a good idea.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #4 of 8

interesting choice of bird for tombstone sitting.

I guess I was expecting a vulture ala:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_181513.html

pmarks0 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #5 of 8

Definitely more along the lines I think of what I had in mind...

Normally you'd think vulture for a tombstone, but the eagle has personal significance for the birthday girl turning 40 for whom I am making the cake.

I guess I have to figure out how to do something like this... http://mri.usd.edu/watertrail/FieldGuide/images/Birds/Bald_Eagle_lg2.jpg
but maybe in fondant/gumpaste?

pmarks0 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #6 of 8

Just found out it's not your standard eagle but Sam the Eagle, the muppet. I've got some pics of what to do...I'll post when he's finished. Thanks all.

pmarks0 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 8

Okay, I have to admit, that I have to concede failure for this one. I just don't have enough experience to do this kind of figure moulding. icon_sad.gif I've got photos of what he looks like from The Muppet Show, but putting that into gumpaste, just isn't happening for this cake. Thankfully, it isn't integral to the design, but was just an inside joke.

pmarks0 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #8 of 8

Okay, I have to admit, that I have to concede failure for this one. I just don't have enough experience to do this kind of figure moulding. icon_sad.gif I've got photos of what he looks like from The Muppet Show, but putting that into gumpaste, just isn't happening for this cake. Thankfully, it isn't integral to the design, but was just an inside joke.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%