Do You Need Cricut Cake If You Have The Expression? Tutorial

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 6:05am by bmoser24

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 6

I have a cake for next weekend with elaborate scrollwork and was going to go old school icon_smile.gif and use fondant and cutters but I have the expression and thought, why not use it?

After some reviews, I am wondering if I need the Cricut Cake if I already have the Expression? I don't want to use gumpaste since I don't know that it would be edible (client wants black scrollwork over all 3 tiers).

Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 6

the expressions works just fine, just make sure you have a deep blade and a mat just for gumpaste.

for me the secret is letting the fondant dry really well.

hope it works for you!

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 6

how does this work? roll fondant on mat and let dry? how thin?

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #4 of 6

You can certainly use the Expression to do cake. However, I would never put paper back through it then, after using it for fondant/gumpaste. I just think it's nasty to go back and forth between paper and food items. I have an Expression for paper work, but if I wanted to use it for cake decorating, I would buy a second Expression and keep it exclusively for food.

bmoser24 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

You can certainly use the Expression to do cake. However, I would never put paper back through it then, after using it for fondant/gumpaste. I just think it's nasty to go back and forth between paper and food items.

I'll have to think about that one. We use paper products all the time, napkins with ink prints, plates...ect. I would be more worried about my paper getting messed up.

bmoser24 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:05am
post #6 of 6

ok, after some searching...I found the difference between the Expression and Cricut Cake is CC has stainless steel parts inside and can be cleaned. The expression will rust. So it seems the big problem would be ...if you use the expression to cut gumpaste, it could mess up your paper, leave grease spots. Even if you change the blade , not sure though.
After further searching i DO think you could use Sugar veil, since the dried product is like vynale (sp?) I would try that, using a recomended mat, and blade for this use only.
There is a tuitorial on you tube with Sugar Veil.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%