Can I Use Wilton Color Spray On Fondant Silhouette?

Decorating By smokeysmokerton Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 3:14am by smokeysmokerton

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a micheal jackson cake with a black silhouette on top, but I can never get black with fondant. I know people airbrush fondant all the time, but I've never used this and with wilton you never can tell. I'm mostly concerned about it getting too wet and not drying. Anyone tried this?

4 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 5

at the very least I would make it as black as possible- ( I manage to get black pretty easy- sometimes it tries to fall apart onme, I just microwave it a little, add more crisco and keep kneading) THEN I would attempt to airbrush- because if you try to airbrush white, yes I think it would puddle up and stay sticky. Not worth it - at least get brown, dark blue, or at the very least, grey.

smokeysmokerton Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 5

I've never been able to get black with mmf or mmbc, but I've only used the wilton colors. I was planning to use wiltons fondant because I don't need a lot of it and it's easier, but I couldn't find the smaller kits with all the colors I need. I just thought I'd buy the small box of white and try to paint it.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:51am
post #4 of 5

There are times when I cant get it. But honestly, (this is sad) when I hve a color I know is going to be difficult, I give it to one of my kids (they help alot and are old enough)- and I tell them what I want, They just work it till they get it, i dont know what all they do- microwave, more crisco, more PS, more water... I've done it all and managed to get it- But, they have more paitence with it. I use MMF and sometimes I use wilton. and all I have is wilton colors. icon_sad.gif There are times its a total fail. usually when its REALLY humid or raining outside. Then we cant color anything.

but I think you can make it work just try to get some base color on it to start with. That will help. icon_smile.gif

smokeysmokerton Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:14am
post #5 of 5

There is a fondant kit that has black and brown so if I need more black than is there I'll try to paint the brown. I wasn't going to get that kit because I didn't think I'd be able to use anything but the black, so this really helps. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%