I Need To Vent...

Decorating By sillymoo84 Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 1:42am by costumeczar

sillymoo84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillymoo84 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 25

Just back from delivering a cake, when I went to the hotel, I was not permitted access so, as it was raining I had to walk across the lawn, mud etc to the kitchen.

When I arrived at the restaurant with the cake, there was nowhere to set the cake up. It was a three tier cake, but the 10inch was seperate from the 8 and 6, for travel purposes.

They made room for me to set this up beside the kitchens. One manager came over and picked up a purple sugar flower, looked at it and threw it onto the table. No exageration.. she threw it. guess what it broke.... She then went on to say oh dear thats broken. I said yea and you did it. She said, no i didnt I never touched it. Thankfully my dh was also there to be a witness. We asked her to leave us alone, not stand over us whilst assembling the cake.

then we go back to the car to fetch the 6 and 8 inch tiers, we come back in and find her going through my 'emergency bag' looking at everything etc and showing the staff my ingredients tools etc. She then stands in between me and my cake refusing to let me assemble it saying that shw will do it, at which I get very irrate and explain quite plainly that this is my work and my responsibility and what I am paid to do. she leaves and comes back with 6 members of staff and starts to eat a roast dinneraround me. it is unbelievable but true.

I am writing to the bride now to show a picture of the cake and let her know some of the issues asking her to let me know if any more damagaes to the cake were made. is that right???

24 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 25

more than right.

and cc: it to the hotel manager and the restaurant manger who is her boss.

sillymoo84 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 25

it was the manager who did it!

Doug Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 25

there is someone who is her boss.

take it up the chain of command as far as you need to.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 25

OMG, the nerve of some people. I agree with Doug, I would definitely get in touch with the Managers above her. You made the right decission in contacting your bride and making her aware also, glad you took pictures for proof, just in case something else manages to "break on it's own".

Doug Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 25

considering it was willful damage to your product....

might your lawyer like to send a letter?????

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 25

Are you kidding me? icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

I got angry just reading the post! You were very patient it seems, I would have been in her face the moment she started touching my things. I have personal space issues.

I'm sure your cake was beautiful and very smart of you to take pictures!

Keep us posted on what the bride said. thumbs_up.gif

sillymoo84 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 25

My dh also took pictures of the staff eating their lunch beside it, and also of the food sitting around. I forgot to mentioned, that one of the tiers was a dummy tier so I was explaining that it was for display purposes only. They had never heard of this before, and proceeded to try and 'tap' the layer to hear if it was different.

Thankfully my dh came to the rescue, as I may have been on bail for assult!! I get very 'precious' over my cakes, and the thought of someone defacing it or vandalising it sends my blood pressure soaring!!

sillymoo84 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 25

I am going to await the reply and then decide what to do. I am also informing the wedding planner.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 25

OMG!!!! I hope the bride gets to see the cake without it being damaged by that
nasty person. *@*&$%# is all I can say about 'her'!! Did you have to leave it
with them or were you close enough to guests arriving to keep an eye on it.
I just can't believe it!!!!

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 25

OMG! I would have gone NUTS! CRAZY! Glad your hubby was there. That's the sorta thing that can make the best of us act like a woman from the wrong side of the tracks. INSANE. I have NEVER ever heard of such crazy behavior. Did you send the bride any pics of the people eating lunch beside it. Threw the sugar flower down and broke it?! Went through your stuff?? That's so the moment you wish you had a hidden camera and the local news channel on speed dial. That's unreal. I don't think I'd agree to deliver anymore cakes to that hotel.

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 25

My blood pressure went through the roof when I read this! Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?
Sometimes I find that people are jealous of your talent, so they will do dumb things to sabotage you.
That is really horrible. I am usually really sweet, but if someone messes with me like that, they will see the other side of me!
You are doing the right thing. I would have taken pictures during setup and after it was finished to proove I did my job, so anything else is their fault.
The nerve of people. What makes them think that's ok to do?
So sorry you had to go through that.

dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 25

OMG just reading this is upsetting! Do they make their own cakes? I wonder if they are jealous and wanted to intentionally make you look bad as a ploy to get other customers to by their cakes.

Post a picture of the cake. I would love to see it. I hope everything turns out ok.

Doug Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymoo84

I am going to await the reply and then decide what to do. I am also informing the wedding planner.

regardless of what happened after you left....

you have enough evidence and just cause now to take action against this manager.

it just may be that your action is joined by the bride!

don't delay -- take action today!

sillymoo84 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm
post #15 of 25

No idea how to post pictures, otherwise I would! I left the venue at 3.30pm - the reception is at 7pm. So there is plenty of damage time. I dont know what their problem is at all.

feel like drowning my sorrows with a vino blanco and making some toffee popcorn. but I am on a suptid no carb, no sugar, no alcohol, no fun diet.

I'll let you know what happens when I find out.

dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymoo84

I am on a suptid no carb, no sugar, no alcohol, no fun diet.

LOL

Bake something beautiful. That might take your mind off of the situation?

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:16pm
post #17 of 25

I was just livid when I read this.....Unbelievable!!!! How old were these people????? TWELVE???? I mean seriously.....what is wrong with people!!!??? 100% agree with Doug.....take it to her manager and don't settle until she is reprimanded!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 25

you need to vent? I'll tell you what you need to do- the next time you have to go there take a shotgun, that's what you need to do!

I'm speechless. Almost. I'm never entirely speechless. But this is close.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #19 of 25

Iam angry for you! That jerk!! I am so sorry this happened to you! I hope the rest of your weekend is the most wonderful one ever!

I just cannot believe it! (I believe you-- just cannot believe the lack of manners, tact, class of some people!!)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #20 of 25

I don't understand how somebody that stupid makes it to a manager position ANYWHERE.

Was this like a real, chain hotel, or some little mom and pop outfit?

sillymoo84 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #21 of 25

Doug - went onto the website of the venue and found out that the manager is actually the OWNER! So I will wait until I hear from the bride and wedding planner.

Argh!!!!!!!!

Jentreu - loving your post!!
penguinprincess - the venue was very classy, shame about the ppl
dozenredroses - baking cake = me eating it!!

I am going for a bubble bath instead! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #22 of 25

Ohhh someone that stupid made it to manager because she owns the place. Gotcha. haha.

I'd be contacting the better business bureau or something then.

Chain restaurant?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozenredroses

OMG just reading this is upsetting! Do they make their own cakes? I wonder if they are jealous and wanted to intentionally make you look bad as a ploy to get other customers to by their cakes.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They might be mad that they lost out on a cake order.

I used to have trouble with a chef from a local upscale hotel when I delivered cakes there. He would tell people that he had made the cake, even went so far as to look at one that I was bringing in and say "I made that cake." icon_confused.gif I thought that he was joking until he told one of the coordinators there that he'd made one that I delivered, and she was confused later when she saw a picture of it in my portfolio. He ahd told her that he had made it. Loser...But as far as I know he never tried to poke one of my cakes, and he never went through my stuff when I was setting up! icon_surprised.gif

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #24 of 25

Give me her number lol!!!!! Id go off on that @#$%^ like something she aint never seen! OKAY the country is coming out of me ....that means Im @#$$%^ off!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:42am
post #25 of 25

And I'd put that location on a '"No-deliver" list! I have one place that I won't deliver to, and if brides call me for weddings there I just tell them that I've had difficulties with that location and don't deliver there anymore. No need to say what the difficulties were, sometimes it's better to leave it mysterious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%