Fondant Pearl Border

Decorating By Darlene Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 1:45am by Darlene

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 6

I am traveling 5 hours to my nieces wedding with her 4 tiered cake that I am making as her gift. I am transporting each layer in individual boxes and plan on stacking at the location. (In addition to over 100 cupcakes-I must love that girl!) As I am doing fondant pearl string borders, I was wondering if anyone has made them in advance? I would like to make the borders and transport in a plastic container to save time upon arrival. I use Fondarific fondant which is a softer fondant. Any advice or words of wisdom are appreciated. Thank you

5 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 6

I am assuming that you are using a mold that makes a string of pearls. Youo should be just fine making them ahead of time as long as you make certain that the container in which you transport them is truly air tight. Often times when I make them in strings, I find that I like to leave them out in the air for a bit (+/- an hour) to let the fondant set so it does not stretch out of shape as badly. If you make them, put them in the container and travel to the site; you might want to take enough for one tier out and leave them exposed to the air while you stack the cake, then take enough for the next tier out etc. How long you let them air dry will depend on how high the humidity is in the area and whether or not you add extra CMC or Tylose to the fondant. If you are pressed for time, get some upholstery plastic from the fabric store and cut it into strips. Place each string of pearls on a strip of the plastic and then put them into the airtight containers. When you get to the site you can lift the pearl strings out of the container using the plastic to pick them up and carry them to the cake. Since the plastic is clear you can see exactly where you need to put them on the cake and can just slide them off the plastic right where they need to go.

Darlene Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 6

Yes, I am using the string mold. Great tip on the upholstery plastic! I'll start making my pearls now!

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene

I am traveling 5 hours to my nieces wedding with her 4 tiered cake that I am making as her gift. I am transporting each layer in individual boxes and plan on stacking at the location. (In addition to over 100 cupcakes-I must love that girl!) As I am doing fondant pearl string borders, I was wondering if anyone has made them in advance? I would like to make the borders and transport in a plastic container to save time upon arrival. I use Fondarific fondant which is a softer fondant. Any advice or words of wisdom are appreciated. Thank you

WOW!!! congratulations on the wedding.
well, i traveled with a 4 tier cake for my niece as well and the drive was 5 hours as well icon_smile.gif in the Texas humid weather ! I just stacked the top two together and the bottom two tiers and took them. they were just fine.oh and I did have a thick dowel in the bottom two and a slightly thinner (NOT skewer) dowel on the top two tiers to keep them from sliding off each other....
as long as your vehicle has an efficiant cooling unit and you are not given the opportunity to slam the breaks.you and the cakes should be fine icon_wink.gif
good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Darlene Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 6

We're actually traveling in a motor home so we can run the air! Also, this give me a kitchen to finish the cupcakes as we have to get there the day before. Giving the sps system a try too. Thanks PS This is a great blessing-I did my sister and her husband's wedding cake (parents of the bride) 28 years ago! icon_smile.gif This is less stress than my son's wedding too! thumbs_up.gif

Darlene Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #6 of 6

Just an update- I make the strings of pearls in advance. Stored in an airtight container but they did dry a little too much. I was able to use them but they did break apart some. Cake turned out nice-even though I traveled 250+ miles by motorhome! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%