Buttercream Or Fondant In Hot Weather?????????

Decorating By iluvpeeks Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 5:36am by iluvpeeks

iluvpeeks Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 12

Here's my question, and problem. I am making a two tiered cake for the 4th to bring to my daughters house. The cakes will be inside, until they are ready to be served. My questions are, what is better for travelling.(It takes about one hour to get to her house, and its very hilly in her neighborhood) Fondant or Indydebi's buttercream? I planned on Indydebi's buttercream with fondant and rice krispie treat stars. Will that hold up in the heat? Its supposed to be 95 here tomorrow. Or should I do IMBC than cover cakes in fondant? Also, should I stack cakes, and than travel, or put together at her house. I know this is long, sorry. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 12

Hi, Kathy! Here's what I would do. In the first place, it sounds like you'd prefer buttercream to fondant. If this is the case, by all means, go for it. Indydebi's buttercream is very heat-stable, especially if it's going to be inside until it's cut. Since it's only two tiers, I would stack, with the proper supports, before you left (just take along a few essentials, like a little of the base buttercream, a spatula, some small cones of the decorator icing with tips, or anything else you used to decorate where the tiers come together, in case you need to make repairs when you get there). But here's the clincher: no matter what you decide to finish the cake with or whether you decide to stack the cakes before or after, SPREAD SOME NON-SLIP PLASTIC ON THE FLOOR OF YOUR TRUNK before you put the cake(s) in. That way, distance and hilliness will not be a problem. I swear by this stuff. It hasn't let me down yet!

mamawrobin Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 12

I would use Indydebi's buttercream. With or without fondant. I KNOW that it will hold up to extreme heat and humidity because it's passed the test for me. It is very hot and humid where I live and it is the only buttercream that I will/can use. Plus it taste great and it's a dream to work with. thumbs_up.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 12

Marianna & Mamawrobin
Thanks for your quick replies. I love Indydebs buttercream too! I know it will hold up in the heat, cause I used it for my grandaughters cake with fondant accents. (They only live 5 minutes away from me, so travel was not a problem) Also, its okay to put it in my trunk? I thought that was a big no no? I have that non slip stuff already, and it does help. Also, if I use fondant stripes, should I use candy melts to stick the rice krispy stars on?

Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 12

If heat is really a concern, I'd think twice about using chocolate as a glue. In this case, I think I'd go with royal icing. About transporting cakes in your trunk, I've never heard anything negative about it. I couldn't put cakes anywhere else, because there are no other level surfaces in my car. I just make sure that 1) my trunk is very clean (I generally have to clean mine when I have a delivery!) and 2) the cake is boxed - with a piece of non-slip plastic between the cake and the box - or protected from the dust in some way. Hope you have a great time!

iluvpeeks Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks Marianna
Have a safe and Happy 4th!
(its already starting to sound like a war zone around here. My poor dogs are scared to death)

rkei Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 12

I know one thing: Just follow mamawrobin's advice, and you'll be fine. SHE IS THE BEST!

iluvpeeks Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 12

YES INDEED!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #9 of 12

Just wanted to thank you for your advise. I couldn't get the buttercream as smoothe as I would have liked, so I covered all the cakes in fondant.
My first attempt at all fondant and I guess it looked pretty okay. I posted a picture. The cakes travelled well, and I stacked them at my daughters house. Take a look and tell me what you think.
Thanks again

Marianna46 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 12

I think your cake looks awesome, Kathy. Glad it was a success!

mamawrobin Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 12

Yes Kathy I agree your cake looks awesome thumbs_up.gif You did a great job.

iluvpeeks Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:36am
post #12 of 12

Thanks again for all your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%