Lemon Mousse Help

Decorating By Iggy Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm by Marianna46

Iggy Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hey , all you moussey people. I'm doing a wedding cake for 7/24, three tiers,
14, 10 & 6. 2 bottom stacked and third on wilton stilts, yuck. Anyway, I will be using Henry & Henry lemon curd mixed with whipped Bettercream. What consistency should the end mousse be and what do I use as a dam or do I need one? COvered in non-crusting BC.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!!

3 replies
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 4

The filling should be at least as consistent as the lemon curd was in the first place (I'm not familiar with the brand, but I'm supposing that it is about the consistency of most lemon curds). That's about the thinnest thing I've filled a cake with - and had it work! You will need a dam, and there was a great tip about dams from mamawrobin on here the other day: thicken your buttercream with extra powdered sugar until it's firm enough to roll into a "snake" (maybe 1/2" or 3/4" thick). Place this around the edge of your cake before spreading the filling. Once the cake is filled, place the next layer on top, weight it down with a book or a large piece of ceramic tile (protected with a layer of waxed paper or something) and let it sit for a couple of hours. Before crumbcoating, trim any of the dam that's squished out of the sides of the cake. Hope this helps!

sweettreat101 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:49am
post #3 of 4

Sounds good. I use two cups heavy whipping cream and one small box instant pudding either vanilla or lemon. I make a mousse and then fold in some lemon curd. Sets up really nice and doesn't move once in place. I had a terrible experience with strawberry filling and a stacked cake. Let's just say it didn't like the U turn I had to make because the lady gave me wrong directions for delivery. Luckily she was a friend.

Marianna46 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 4

MmmMmm, that sounds really delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%