Bubbles In Buttercream

Decorating By nvangel Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm by SeriousCakes

nvangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nvangel Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 14

Hi! I'm hoping you all can help me. My buttercream had air bubbles in it afer I smoothed it out. Why would this happen and how do I fix it? Thanks!

13 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 14

You overmixed it. You can use a hot, dry spatula to smooth the sides a bit, and if it's a crusting buttercream you can smooth it with a Viva paper towel (one with no pattern on it). Otherwise, it is what it is.

Next time you make buttercream, mix it slowly only until just mixed. If it looks like it has bubbles, press it against the sides of the bowl to push out some of the bubbles before you put it on the cake.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 14

I think it is Sharon Zambito (sugarshack) who suggests that you make a double recipe of buttercream (you can freeze the leftovers for another cake) so that the beater is entirely covered by the icing while you're beating it. This is also supposed to help avoid air bubbles. I haven't tried it yet, because I just found out about it from another thread that was on here a week or two ago. But I have tried mashing the icing against the side of the bowl before spreading it on the cake and that DOES work.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 14

Yes, air bubbles, from too much, or high speed mixing.

That's what fondant decorations are great for. Covering up the worst of the spots on the cake icon_wink.gif

Watch SeriousCakes tutorial on You tube as well.

When you're making BC, beat the fat, beat the fat, beat the fat.

Then beat it some more icon_smile.gif
That's how you're going to get that smooth BC texture.

I use 1 pound butter, and 1 pound shortening in my 5qt KA.

I add my flavourings...vanilla, butter flavour, whatever.
Mix all that in really well.

Now drape your mixer with a dampened, large drying/tea towel.

Then SLOWLY, one cup at a time, mix in the sugar. 2 bags (1kg sze each)
About halfway through, add a little cream

Kepp adding in sugar... stream in the rest of the cream.

You'll hear that sucking sound Sharon refers to.

Stop. No bubbles.

You're done. icon_smile.gif

HTH!!...with extreme gratitude to Sharon and SeriousCakes icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 14

I NEVER have issues with bubbles in my buttercream and I mix/beat the he## out of it. I beat my crisco for at least 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients and I also keep my mixer running as I add other ingredients. Once all of my powdered sugar has been incorporated I continue to beat/mix for at least 20 minutes.....so.....I'd say from start to finish my buttercream is mixed/whipped for a total of 35-45 minutes. SO...I disagree that bubbles are caused by "over mixing". I also don't mix/beat my buttercream on low setting. I don't use the high setting either but I don't "lightly" whip this stuff...I beat the heck out of it...LOL...

Like Marianna said...making a double batch so that the beater is entirely covered will help to prevent air bubbles. I always make a double batch of bc and I ALWAYS mash/press the icing against the inside of my mixing bowl using a wide spatula to work out any air that may be trapped. Yes it does work. icon_lol.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 14

Over mixing or a High speed is NOT an issue. I use Sharon Z. recipe all the time and I use speed 6 or 7 on my KA mixer. I whip it up for about 10-15 minutes total.

Like others are saying, use a double batch. Make sure that the paddle's are completely covered in icing...

HTH

Michael

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks CBMom and mamawrobin, I'd forgotten about the beating the doowadiddy out of the fat before doing anything else! I haven't had to make buttercream since i read that thread, but I do today, so I'm glad to be reminded of it!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Thanks CBMom and mamawrobin, I'd forgotten about the beating the doowadiddy out of the fat before doing anything else! I haven't had to make buttercream since i read that thread, but I do today, so I'm glad to be reminded of it!

I find that by doing this I make the creamiest buttercream. Seems like the longer I let my mixer run the better it is. Beating the heck out of the shortening before anything is added was something my grandmother always did. I remember asking her why she did that and she said that it made a creamier icing. I just don't think you can over mix this stuff...could be wrong but so far I haven't. I'm making some right now. thumbs_up.gif

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I NEVER have issues with bubbles in my buttercream and I mix/beat the he## out of it. I beat my crisco for at least 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients and I also keep my mixer running as I add other ingredients. Once all of my powdered sugar has been incorporated I continue to beat/mix for at least 20 minutes.....so.....I'd say from start to finish my buttercream is mixed/whipped for a total of 35-45 minutes. SO...I disagree that bubbles are caused by "over mixing". I also don't mix/beat my buttercream on low setting. I don't use the high setting either but I don't "lightly" whip this stuff...I beat the heck out of it...LOL...

Like Marianna said...making a double batch so that the beater is entirely covered will help to prevent air bubbles. I always make a double batch of bc and I ALWAYS mash/press the icing against the inside of my mixing bowl using a wide spatula to work out any air that may be trapped. Yes it does work. icon_lol.gif

OK, I'm gonna give it a try! icon_smile.gif LOL!!

I beat - KA speed 8 or 9?? When I switch it on, I just "feel" the clicks, not looking at it icon_biggrin.gif - the butter and shortening for at least 10 minutes, and it's humming in there.

I've often wondered if continuing to beat after the sugar is added somehow "gets past" any air being incorporated.

But obviously the trick might be the actual volume of ingredients...I've got a family cake coming up - lucky them, they get my experiments icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Michael and Mamawobin thumbs_up.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #10 of 14

When I taught a class I had them taste the buttercream after I finished adding all the ingredients, then again after I let it mix at a higher speed. It definitely makes a difference when you let it go longer, smoother, creamier, and fluffier. If you're using butter it also lightens the buttercream when you let it go longer....

nvangel Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:07am
post #11 of 14

Thanks so much! I'll try doing a double batch next time. I made indydebi's recipe and add 1/2 unsweetened cocoa with a little bit more milk. After it crusted over, there was this huge air bubble. It appeared after I did the border...of course. Thank you for all your help. You guys are the best!!

SeriousCakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:17am
post #12 of 14

Wait a sec, that kind of air bubble is different. Did it look like the one in this video?

I get this when there's too much frosting and it's warm outside.

nvangel Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #13 of 14

Yes! That's the stupid bubble I got. Only I got it after I did my border. I did do the toothpick and tried to smooth it best I could. So too much icing and too warm in the house was my problem?

SeriousCakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 14

Yep, I have less problems if I apply a thinner coat of frosting. I've been trying to make my buttercream a little thicker too when it's hot and humid out, lol, doesn't always work though, I forget it's summer and add the same amount of liquid that I always add!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%