Finished Before Even Starting!

Decorating By Herekittykitty Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 4:23am by mamawrobin

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 6

So, baked my first WASC on Tuesday for a cake tomorrow. The leftover cupcakes (don't you just love that?!) Seemed a bit sticky, thought it was just the batter or had over mixed a bit.

Thawed yesterday and went to tort today, they were not done in the middle. Seemed fine when I took out of the oven and moved well, felt firm, I even did the press down method to get rid of the dome but apparently the top inch or so in the center was not set. icon_cry.gif DAMN!!! Now it's off to the store for more supplies.

GRRRRRRR!!!! Not sure if I am going to make WASC again or just plain box cake -- gun shy now. icon_sad.gif

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for "listening".

5 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of 6

I am VERY tempted to use my apple corer and start taking a 'sample' out of the middle of each cake I bake, to make sure they are DONE, and NOT too dry...

Herekittykitty Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #3 of 6

I cannot remember the last time I over or underbaked a cake. Caught me completely off guard. Did get an oven thermom. while restocking, I think that helped.

New ones baked up fine but the design (the flag inside) completely failed. Sigh. Not my day I guess. Oh well, the second of the two I baked for the flag is doing ok. Not quite what envisioned but it will do. Need to invest in some straight sided pans!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #4 of 6

Can you just use a skewer and make sure it comes out clean? I check mine early and then I watch it and not let it overbake. I never have a problem with it not being done, nor dry....

Herekittykitty Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:05am
post #5 of 6

Believe it or not, it did come out clean. That is why I was so surprised to find a soupy mess in the middle of my cake when I thawed it, plus all the manhandling I put it through on Tuesday.

The flag cake failed on assembly; just couldn't get the small blue cake in the middle w/o destroying the torted red layers.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:23am
post #6 of 6

I don't know which WASC recipe that you used but I tried several before I found kakeladi's WASC recipe. It's the only one that I had good results with. The others turned out sticky and gummy. I love her recipe. It uses no oil and only 1 cup water/liquid. If you haven't tried her recipe you may want to give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%