Herekittykitty Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of

So, baked my first WASC on Tuesday for a cake tomorrow. The leftover cupcakes (don't you just love that?!) Seemed a bit sticky, thought it was just the batter or had over mixed a bit.

Thawed yesterday and went to tort today, they were not done in the middle. Seemed fine when I took out of the oven and moved well, felt firm, I even did the press down method to get rid of the dome but apparently the top inch or so in the center was not set. icon_cry.gif DAMN!!! Now it's off to the store for more supplies.

GRRRRRRR!!!! Not sure if I am going to make WASC again or just plain box cake -- gun shy now. icon_sad.gif

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for "listening".

5 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of

I am VERY tempted to use my apple corer and start taking a 'sample' out of the middle of each cake I bake, to make sure they are DONE, and NOT too dry...

Herekittykitty Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #3 of

I cannot remember the last time I over or underbaked a cake. Caught me completely off guard. Did get an oven thermom. while restocking, I think that helped.

New ones baked up fine but the design (the flag inside) completely failed. Sigh. Not my day I guess. Oh well, the second of the two I baked for the flag is doing ok. Not quite what envisioned but it will do. Need to invest in some straight sided pans!

Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #4 of

Can you just use a skewer and make sure it comes out clean? I check mine early and then I watch it and not let it overbake. I never have a problem with it not being done, nor dry....

Herekittykitty Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:05am
post #5 of

Believe it or not, it did come out clean. That is why I was so surprised to find a soupy mess in the middle of my cake when I thawed it, plus all the manhandling I put it through on Tuesday.

The flag cake failed on assembly; just couldn't get the small blue cake in the middle w/o destroying the torted red layers.

mamawrobin Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:23am
post #6 of

I don't know which WASC recipe that you used but I tried several before I found kakeladi's WASC recipe. It's the only one that I had good results with. The others turned out sticky and gummy. I love her recipe. It uses no oil and only 1 cup water/liquid. If you haven't tried her recipe you may want to give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%