Sps Size

Decorating By xinue Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm by xinue

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 6

hello!
I'm wanting to buy sps sistem, my question is, do I buy the plate the same size as the cake or one size smaller?
I usually trim the sides of the cake, so it gets a little smaller.

What do you think???

5 replies
bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:57am
post #2 of 6

Great question! I bought, and love my SPS, but I bought the same size and i do notice that with a little shrinkage (which varies on how much) I have a hard time covering the plate. I just thought about purchasing a size smaller to avoid this problem. My cake board would be the size of my cake, cut to fit, and then the sps 1 in or less really under that. No more trying to hide it . BC I can hide, but fondant without BC boarder, just ribbon is hard.
I too, would like to hear from others.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 6

From what I understand, you buy it the same size as your cake. You can buy it smaller if you have to, though. Ideally, the same size is best.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 6

I never cut a cake cardboard. Yes, the cake shrinks a bit during baking. The space between the cake and the edge of the cake board is where the icing goes. The edge of the cake board provides a perfectly round edge to lay your spatula or bench scraper against as you smooth your cake, to make sure it's round. Then I use a SPS plate the same size as the cardboard.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you!
I think I'll just have to try.
The thing is I live in a country where cakes are only made in fondant. It surely works fine with the icing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%