Can I Make Marshmallow Fluff From Marshmallows?

Baking By Roxybc Updated 26 Jun 2014 , 2:56pm by lisamariep79

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 12

I'm going to be making smores bars, but one of the recipes I'm considering calls for marshmallow fluff - I'm assuming because it's easier to spread and cut. I wanted to use real marshmallows but I was wondering if there was a way that I cam turn marshmallows into marshmallow fluff.m Does anyone know if this is possible?

11 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 12

not a problem, this is the recipe i use.

1 cup of mini marshmallows (or 10 large) to 1 tsp of corn syrup is the ratio.

4 cups of mini-marshallows (or 40 large marshmallows) and 4 tsp of corn syrup. It is equal to the 7 oz jar.

Melt in microwave or over double boiler. I prefer double boiler, heating it gently just seemed to work better, for me anyway.

edited to add: I have never used the the large marshmallows, only the mini. if you use large let me know how it works for you or any adjustments you might have had to make. thanks.

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks! I'll use the large ones. One other thing - do you know if this "fluff" will brown under the broiler like regular marshmallow do?

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 12

I needed marshmallow fluff last weekend for my marshmallow creme filling for cupcakes and went to four stores before I found it. I wondered about making my own. Thanks for posting that.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxybc

Thanks! I'll use the large ones. One other thing - do you know if this "fluff" will brown under the broiler like regular marshmallow do?

I have never put it under a broiler.. sorry. something i will have to try to find out. thumbs_up.gif let me know if you try it and how it works for you. personally, I would think that it would brown.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 12

I've never tried it, either, but it's basically the sugar in the marshmallows that makes them brown, so I imagine marshmallow fluff would do the same. Thanks for the recipe, by the way, tesso. I can't get the stuff at all where I live, and there are some things that just can't be made without it.

Granny Lea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granny Lea Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 12

Can you add chocolate to the mix to make a chocolate cream filling?

Stregg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stregg Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for this recipe. It came out great. I used the 10 large marshmallows and it came out a little "stickier" than the consistency of the jarred marshmallow fluff. I think maybe another half tsp of corn syrup would be best when using the large ones.

CoolCatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoolCatz Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 12

I made my own recipe for marshmallow fluff.

10 Mini Marshmallows

1/4 Teaspoon of Milk

Put them in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds.

Stir and enjoy. :)

wildflower98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower98 Posted 23 May 2014 , 12:57am
post #10 of 12

if I used big marshmallows then would I use less of them and more milk or how would I go about doing that.

lisamariep79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamariep79 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 12

AI tried cutting down the large marshmellows to make it easier to melt down and got the idea of seeing how many messured 1 cup and found only 8 fit the one cup measurer. i will try the 8 first if it don't work then i will do the ten but i just thought i'd share my discovery

lisamariep79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamariep79 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 12

Awow I actually tried two ways 1 with 8 marshmellows to 1 tsp. corn syrup then 10 with 1 1/2 tsps and they both came out but the one with the 10 marshmellows came out better. sorry the large ones but i did do the extra 1/2 tsp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%