Crumb Coat????

Decorating By skinnyminx Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 3:43pm by Doug

skinnyminx Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 4

sorry im a newbe but im also irish so im woundering what you refer to as a crumb coat?? i dont no if its that i just havnt heard of it before or its an american version of somthing we call something else. ..
do ye crumb coat a cake then butter cream it(i no what butter cream is) then cover in fondant..?

but what does a crumb coat consist of?

3 replies
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 4

it's a thin coat of icing put on first and allowed to crust so that seals in the crumbs and prevents then from getting into the final coat of icing.

skinnyminx Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 4

so its a thin coat of buttercream left to crust then more buttercream addedbrfore fondant.. have i it right?

Doug Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 4

yep. exactly

Quote by @%username% on %date%